Old 05-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Christian Lange

Default tools that present a graphical abstraction of a SELinux policy

Hi,

I'm a student of the university of Rostock, In the scope of my master
thesis I want to get an
overview about existing graphical tools (commercial or free),
abstracting from underlying SELinux
details, helping users to define and maintain SELinux policies (TE &
MCS). So far, I found the
following tools:
- SLIDE
- VIRGIL
- Tresys Brickwall Security Suite
They only use masks for data input and don't abstract from the policy
to show a graph.

My questions are:
- Is there any tool that creates a abstract view of a policy as a
graph or something like that?
- Is there any demand for such a tool?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 05-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Stephen Smalley

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 08:28 +0200, Christian Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a student of the university of Rostock, In the scope of my master
> thesis I want to get an
> overview about existing graphical tools (commercial or free),
> abstracting from underlying SELinux
> details, helping users to define and maintain SELinux policies (TE &
> MCS). So far, I found the
> following tools:
> - SLIDE
> - VIRGIL
> - Tresys Brickwall Security Suite
> They only use masks for data input and don't abstract from the policy
> to show a graph.
>
> My questions are:
> - Is there any tool that creates a abstract view of a policy as a
> graph or something like that?
> - Is there any demand for such a tool?

Your question is better suited to the upstream selinux@tycho.nsa.gov
mailing list than to this list, as it is not specific to Fedora.
However, let me point you to this resource:
http://selinuxproject.org/page/User_Resources#Tools

In particular, the Cross Domain Solution Framework is graph-oriented,
http://oss.tresys.com/projects/cdsframework

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency