Old 11-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Tony Molloy

Default Problem with existing user directories on F*

Hi,

After an install of F8 I have a problem with pre-existing user directories.

I did a full install of F8 with SELinux in enforcing mode and kept my existing
user directories in /users. At the end of the install I did a "fixfiles
relabel". Now when I try to login to my account I'm told that my home
directory does not exist. It does.

The problem appears to be SELinux because when I disable it everything works.

Some info:

ls -al| /home/testacc ( account created during the install )

drwx------ testacc testacc system_ubject_r:user_home_dir_t .
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:home_root_t ..
-rw-r--r-- testacc testacc system_ubject_r:user_home_t .bash_logout

ls -alZ /users/molloyt ( my home directory )

drwx------ molloyt csstaff system_ubject_r:default_t .
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:default_t ..
-rw-r--r-- molloyt csstaff user_ubject_r:default_t 3rd-monday

The SELinux permissions on the home directory, the owing directory and the
contents of the home directory are wrong.

So two questions:

1. how can I reset the permissions.

2. was the problem caused by the "fixfiles relabel" which I did at the end of
the install. If I had unmounted the /users partition before I did that
would I have been OK.

Thanks,

Tony

Old 12-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Tony Molloy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After an install of F8 I have a problem with pre-existing user directories.
>
> I did a full install of F8 with SELinux in enforcing mode and kept my existing
> user directories in /users. At the end of the install I did a "fixfiles
> relabel". Now when I try to login to my account I'm told that my home
> directory does not exist. It does.
>
> The problem appears to be SELinux because when I disable it everything works.
>
> Some info:
>
> ls -al| /home/testacc ( account created during the install )
>
> drwx------ testacc testacc system_ubject_r:user_home_dir_t .
> drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:home_root_t ..
> -rw-r--r-- testacc testacc system_ubject_r:user_home_t .bash_logout
>

> ls -alZ /users/molloyt ( my home directory )
>
> drwx------ molloyt csstaff system_ubject_r:default_t .
> drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:default_t ..
> -rw-r--r-- molloyt csstaff user_ubject_r:default_t 3rd-monday
>
> The SELinux permissions on the home directory, the owing directory and the
> contents of the home directory are wrong.
>
> So two questions:
>
> 1. how can I reset the permissions.
>
> 2. was the problem caused by the "fixfiles relabel" which I did at the end of
> the install. If I had unmounted the /users partition before I did that
> would I have been OK.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Tony

What does molloyt entry in the /etcpasswd file look like? IE Does it
list his homedir as /users/molloyt?

SELinux is supposed to figure out where home directories are and label
them correctly.