-   -   Should I ignore or report this avc denial? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-selinux-support/707676-should-i-ignore-report-avc-denial.html)

Sergio 09-26-2012 10:40 PM

Should I ignore or report this avc denial?

Hello.
For quite some time I have this avc denial at boot time:

f17 kernel: [ 24.589672] type=1400 audit(1348484525.104:4): avc: denied { mmap_zero } for pid=449 comm="vbetool" scontext=system_u:system_r:vbetool_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tcontext=system_u:system_r:vbetool_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tclass=memprotect

I know it's for vbetool but it comes right after the video driver module is loaded (don't know if it makes sense).

Should I leave it alone? Should I report to selinux-policy-targeted as a bug? Or maybe create some policy to work around that?

Thank you.

Dominick Grift 09-27-2012 08:21 AM

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 03:40:32PM -0700, Sergio wrote:
> Hello.
> For quite some time I have this avc denial at boot time:
>
> f17 kernel: [ 24.589672] type=1400 audit(1348484525.104:4): avc: denied { mmap_zero } for pid=449 comm="vbetool" scontext=system_u:system_r:vbetool_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tcontext=system_u:system_r:vbetool_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tclass=memprotect
>
> I know it's for vbetool but it comes right after the video driver module is loaded (don't know if it makes sense).
>
> Should I leave it alone? Should I report to selinux-policy-targeted as a bug? Or maybe create some policy to work around that?

The policy configuration supports two options:

1. silently deny this: setsebool -P vbetool_mmap_zero_ignore on

or

2. allow this: setsebool -P mmap_low_allowed on

Daniel J Walsh 09-27-2012 11:32 AM

Should I ignore or report this avc denial?

Sergio 09-27-2012 02:14 PM

Should I ignore or report this avc denial?

> >> Hello. For quite some time I have this avc denial
> at boot time:
> >>
> >> f17 kernel: [***24.589672] type=1400
> audit(1348484525.104:4): avc:
> >> denied* { mmap_zero } for* pid=449
> comm="vbetool"
> >>
> scontext=system_u:system_r:vbetool_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
> >> tcontext=system_u:system_r:vbetool_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
> tclass=memprotect
> >>
> >> I know it's for vbetool but it comes right after
> the video driver module
> >> is loaded (don't know if it makes sense).
> >>
> >> Should I leave it alone? Should I report to
> selinux-policy-targeted as a
> >> bug? Or maybe create some policy to work around
> that?
> >
> > The policy configuration supports two options:
> >
> > 1. silently deny this: setsebool -P
> vbetool_mmap_zero_ignore on
> >
> > or
> >
> > 2. allow this: setsebool -P mmap_low_allowed on
> >

> A better solution is probably
>
> yum remove vbetool
>
> Since most people do not need it.

Thank you both.
I installed vbetool some time ago to troubleshoot suspend/hibernate issues.

Sergio 09-27-2012 02:34 PM

Should I ignore or report this avc denial?

> > > The policy configuration supports two options:
> > >
> > > 1. silently deny this: setsebool -P
> > vbetool_mmap_zero_ignore on
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > 2. allow this: setsebool -P mmap_low_allowed on
> > >

> > A better solution is probably
> >
> > yum remove vbetool
> >
> > Since most people do not need it.

For the while I went with

# setsebool -P mmap_low_allowed on

And it's taking quite a while to complete the job. The command is using almost all of my old Athlon CPU for quite some time already.

Is this normal?

Note: last selinux-policy-targeted update got stuck and I eventually had to stop it and then complete it afterwards (with yum-complete-transaction).
Just saying to give a perspective. Maybe I should stop the setsebool process (not doing anything now in case I get an answer)?

Sergio 09-27-2012 02:36 PM

Should I ignore or report this avc denial?

> For the while I went with
>
> # setsebool -P mmap_low_allowed on
>
> And it's taking quite a while to complete the job. The
> command is using almost all of my old Athlon CPU for quite
> some time already.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Note: last selinux-policy-targeted update got stuck and I
> eventually had to stop it and then complete it afterwards
> (with yum-complete-transaction).
> Just saying to give a perspective. Maybe I should stop the
> setsebool process (not doing anything now in case I get an
> answer)?

Ok. It completed.

Thanks.

Daniel J Walsh 09-27-2012 02:51 PM

Should I ignore or report this avc denial?