-   -   ignoredisk in RHEL 6.0, anaconda 13.21.149 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-selinux-support/652286-ignoredisk-rhel-6-0-anaconda-13-21-149-a.html)

"Baldini, Art" 04-03-2012 05:31 PM

ignoredisk in RHEL 6.0, anaconda 13.21.149

I am trying to find some information regarding how
ignoredisk works and to see if it’s use has changed since RHEL5.* In
RHEL 6/anaconda 13.21.149 *when I am installing with USB media and I use ignoredisk
--disk=<list of disks which includes the USB drive> (like ignoredisk
--disk=sda,sdc )my install fails with the message (from storage/__init__.py in
my version of anaconda):

*** *"The installation
source given by device [‘LABEL=IPMDISK'] could not be found".

It appears that in RHEL 6 when anaconda is
looking for installation media, it will ignore the drives in this list.* I
have used this option exactly the same way in RHEL 5 and it did not have this
issue.

*

The documentation I have found for ignoredisk only
states that it ignores these devices “when partitioning, formatting and clearing”
which doesn’t appear to have changed for RHEL6.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#ignoredisk
states:

*** ignoredisk

*** Controls anaconda's access to
disks attached to the system. Only one of the following two options may be
used.

*** ignoredisk
--drives=[disk1,disk2,...]

*** Specifies those disks that
anaconda should not touch when partitioning, formatting, and clearing.

*** ignoredisk
--only-use=[disk1,disk2,...]

*** Specifies the opposite - only
disks listed here will be used during installation.

*** ignoredisk --interactive

*** Allow the user manually
navigate the advanced storage screen.

*

I have tried both options listed above, using the
--drives option to ignore disks I don’t want to install onto, or with the
--only-use, with the same results.

I have searched the web looking for anything regarding
this but have only found this one link:

*** http://grokbase.com/t/centos/centos/117x0rppsg/kickstart-and-centos-6-episode-2

*

Is this expected behavior for ignoredisk now?* Am I
missing something?

*

Thanks.

Art
Baldini

David Lehman 04-03-2012 05:42 PM

On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 13:31 -0400, Baldini, Art wrote:

> Is this expected behavior for ignoredisk now? Am I missing something?

Yes. Beginning with RHEL6, ignoredisk actually means "completely ignore
this device". That means the installer is not at all aware of the
device's presence. To use a disk as install source but not for
partitioning, you'll have to use the --drives option to clearpart (if
using clearpart) and/or the --disk option to partition.

Dave

"Baldini, Art" 04-03-2012 05:55 PM

ignoredisk in RHEL 6.0, anaconda 13.21.149

Thanks.

Art Baldini
TPD/GPS

(o) +1.919.461.1078