Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM
"Göran Uddeborg"

Default Would the F17 policy have problems with a 3.2.7 kernel?

I would like to move on towards an F17 system. I'm stuck, however
with an 3.2.7 kernel because of bugzilla 795141. (The test kernel
that was provided in the bugzilla works for me, but so far the fix
doesn't seem to have been included in any released kernel package.)
And the standard F17 kernel is 3.3.0.

Most things won't actually depend on the newer kernel in F17, but from
experience I've learned that the selinux-policy is one of the more
sensitive parts. Are you aware of any reason it will fail with the
slightly older kernel? Or is there a chance it might work? At least
reasonably well?

I'm of course not asking for any kind of official support. Whatever
that would mean for an alpha of Fedora. :-) But before I do the
attempt I wanted to check if you saw any obvious reasons things would
crash completely if I tried the combination.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Dominick Grift

On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 19:37 +0200, Göran Uddeborg wrote:
> I would like to move on towards an F17 system. I'm stuck, however
> with an 3.2.7 kernel because of bugzilla 795141. (The test kernel
> that was provided in the bugzilla works for me, but so far the fix
> doesn't seem to have been included in any released kernel package.)
> And the standard F17 kernel is 3.3.0.
>
> Most things won't actually depend on the newer kernel in F17, but from
> experience I've learned that the selinux-policy is one of the more
> sensitive parts. Are you aware of any reason it will fail with the
> slightly older kernel? Or is there a chance it might work? At least
> reasonably well?
>
> I'm of course not asking for any kind of official support. Whatever
> that would mean for an alpha of Fedora. :-) But before I do the
> attempt I wanted to check if you saw any obvious reasons things would
> crash completely if I tried the combination.

I suspect that things might work but do not shoot me if i am wrong

Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 19:37:14 +0200,
I would like to move on towards an F17 system. I'm stuck, however
with an 3.2.7 kernel because of bugzilla 795141. (The test kernel
that was provided in the bugzilla works for me, but so far the fix
doesn't seem to have been included in any released kernel package.)
And the standard F17 kernel is 3.3.0.

We're in a freeze now so the kernel in the stable repo won't change.
Hopefully we'll be out of freeze Wednesday night, but it could be
another week.

The 3.3.1 kernel is available from koji.

Most things won't actually depend on the newer kernel in F17, but from
experience I've learned that the selinux-policy is one of the more
sensitive parts. Are you aware of any reason it will fail with the
slightly older kernel? Or is there a chance it might work? At least
reasonably well?

Most likely it will work just fine. Video drivers are more likely to
be an issue than selinux. But I not aware of anything in particular
that would be a problem right now.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 PM
"Göran Uddeborg"

Dominick Grift:
> I suspect that things might work but do not shoot me if i am wrong

I wasn't asking for any promises! :-) I was asking for an informed
guess. And you gave me one, for which I say thank you!

Bruno Wolff III:
> Most likely it will work just fine.

Thank you for your assessment too, and additinal comments!

I'll give it a try, and hope it won't break things too badly. :-)