Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 PM

Default Suggestion on autorelabel

Y'know, folks, fsck -c gives you a clue that not only is it running, but a
vague feel for how much longer it'll be. .autorelabel, esp with several
2TB drives in a system, gives screens and screens and screens of
asterisks, with no clue if it'll *ever* finish (which matters, when I'm
going to be leaving soon, and it needs to be up for an overnight
backup....)

mark

Old 02-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 02-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Joe Nall

On Feb 1, 2012, at 8:02 AM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> On 01/31/2012 05:06 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Y'know, folks, fsck -c gives you a clue that not only is it
>> running, but a vague feel for how much longer it'll be.
>> .autorelabel, esp with several 2TB drives in a system, gives
>> screens and screens and screens of asterisks, with no clue if it'll
>> *ever* finish (which matters, when I'm going to be leaving soon,
>> and it needs to be up for an overnight backup....)
>>
>> mark

> Give me a mechanism to know how many files are on the file system and
> I might be able to give you an idea.
>
> Basically this is doing a
>
> find /
>
> I don't think there is a way to know how many files are left.

fsck walks inodes and knows how many inodes are in use in advance.

I think you would have to use something like ftw(3) to count the files in advance (slow) or generate a guess based on the number of inodes in use (inaccurate).

joe

Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Moray Henderson

Poking around with a couple of commands gave me some results:

# e2fsck -nv /dev/mapper/slsvg-usrvol
91208 regular files
11779 directories
0 character device files
0 block device files
0 fifos
20300 links
642 symbolic links (642 fast symbolic links)
0 sockets
--------
123929 files

# find /usr -xdev | wc
123929 123929 7687890

I wasn't able to get good timings, because even running the e2fsck command seemed to help the find command run faster. I'd expect though that either of those commands will complete more quickly than the fetch-the-name;fetch-its-attribute;get-the-context;get-the-correct-context;compare-them;write-the-new-context loop. Whether that would be sufficiently more quickly to justify the extra overhead time in setting it up is an experiment I don't have the leisure time to conduct at the moment ;-).

Moray.
“To err is human; to purr, feline.”

Old 02-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Bob Gustafson

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 09:02 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 01/31/2012 05:06 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> > Y'know, folks, fsck -c gives you a clue that not only is it
> > running, but a vague feel for how much longer it'll be.
> > .autorelabel, esp with several 2TB drives in a system, gives
> > screens and screens and screens of asterisks, with no clue if it'll
> > *ever* finish (which matters, when I'm going to be leaving soon,
> > and it needs to be up for an overnight backup....)
> >
> > mark

> Give me a mechanism to know how many files are on the file system and
> I might be able to give you an idea.
>
> Basically this is doing a
>
> find /
>
> I don't think there is a way to know how many files are left.
> --

I was also troubled by the 'endless' stream of asterisks.

Perhaps some sort of heuristic - like disk size(s) divided by 'average'
file size. Also don't know the value of one asterisk - is it 100 files?

A few more experiments would give something that would be +- 30% This
would be better than nothing.

Bob G

Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 08:56:42 -0600,
Bob Gustafson <bobgus@rcn.com> wrote:
> Perhaps some sort of heuristic - like disk size(s) divided by 'average'
> file size. Also don't know the value of one asterisk - is it 100 files?

I believe it is 100 files. So if you know how many files on on your
system you can estimate when it will complete.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Frederick William New

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 4:57 PM, Bob Gustafson wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 09:02 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> > On 01/31/2012 05:06 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> > > Y'know, folks, fsck -c gives you a clue that not only is it
> > > running, but a vague feel for how much longer it'll be.
> > > .autorelabel, esp with several 2TB drives in a system, gives
> > > screens and screens and screens of asterisks, with no clue if it'll
> > > *ever* finish (which matters, when I'm going to be leaving soon,
> > > and it needs to be up for an overnight backup....)
> > >
> > > mark

> > Give me a mechanism to know how many files are on the file system and
> > I might be able to give you an idea.
> >
> > Basically this is doing a
> >
> > find /
> >
> > I don't think there is a way to know how many files are left.
> > --
>
> I was also troubled by the 'endless' stream of asterisks.
>
> Perhaps some sort of heuristic - like disk size(s) divided by 'average'
> file size. Also don't know the value of one asterisk - is it 100 files?
>
> A few more experiments would give something that would be +- 30% This
> would be better than nothing.
>
> Bob G

"df -i" gives a summary of used inodes that corresponds to the number of
files in my ext4 /boot and /home file systems very closely. The root
file system inum count is about 14,000 more than
find / -mount | wc -l
But perhaps this could provide a good base number.

Fred

Old 02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
John Reiser

> Give me a mechanism to know how many files are on the file system and
> I might be able to give you an idea.

Yes, hardlinks are a complication. However, a useful progress measure
can be computed as the percentage of _known_ total .st_nlink that have
been seen so far. The numerator starts at zero. The denominator
starts at (total_inodes - free_inodes). Update the denominator
upon seeing each inode for the first time. Update the numerator
upon seeing each hardlink in turn, including the first time for each
inode. So, if 2==.st_nlink, then the first directory entry for any
particular .st_ino results in
numerator += 1;
denominator += .st_nlink - 1;
and the remnaining directory entries for that .st_ino do just
numerator += 1;

The fraction will wobble (go "backwards") upon first encounter
with each inode that has (1 < .st_nlink), but the wobble will be
small after 10% of duration. This method requires one additional
stat() per inode [to check .st_nlink], assuming that a directory
entry already gives you the .st_ino. It also requires a
bit table to track the first encounter of each inode.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 02/01/2012 09:56 AM, Bob Gustafson wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 09:02 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>> On 01/31/2012 05:06 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Y'know, folks, fsck -c gives you a clue that not only is it
>>> running, but a vague feel for how much longer it'll be.
>>> .autorelabel, esp with several 2TB drives in a system, gives
>>> screens and screens and screens of asterisks, with no clue if
>>> it'll *ever* finish (which matters, when I'm going to be
>>> leaving soon, and it needs to be up for an overnight
>>> backup....)
>>>
>>> mark

>> Give me a mechanism to know how many files are on the file system
>> and I might be able to give you an idea.
>>
>> Basically this is doing a
>>
>> find /
>>
>> I don't think there is a way to know how many files are left. --
>
> I was also troubled by the 'endless' stream of asterisks.
>
> Perhaps some sort of heuristic - like disk size(s) divided by
> 'average' file size. Also don't know the value of one asterisk - is
> it 100 files?
>
> A few more experiments would give something that would be +- 30%
> This would be better than nothing.
>
> Bob G

If you have huge file systems with all the same file type on them. it
is probably better to just mount the drive with a label.

Then autorelabel will ignore the file system. No reason to put labels
on a huge file system all with the same label.

man setfiles
-p show progress by printing * every 1000 files.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Daniel J Walsh