Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 AM
Robert Nichols

Default setroubleshootd not running

What, in the hopelessly complex chain of process startups, is supposed to start
setroubleshootd? I find it is either not getting started or silently dieing on
my Fedora 12 system. I find I've been getting a bunch of AVCs logged, with no
alert of course, and no way to get those AVCs translated with human-readable
timestamps so that I have the slightest chance of correlating those with
anything else going on in the system. ("sealert -a /var/log/audit/audit.log"
just dies with "NameError: global name 'avc' is not defined".)

The manpage for sealert mentions a GUI browser. That must have been in
somebody's wet dream, because there is no such thing. Regardless of how
sealert is started, the GUI menu discussed in the manpage does not exist.

Again, SElinux turns out to be a bigger pain than anything it is supposedly
protecting against.

Do NOT delete it.
# sealert -a /var/log/audit/audit.log
11% doneTraceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/setroubleshoot/analyze.py", line 635, in task
self.new_audit_record_handler(record_type, event_id, body_text, fields, line_number)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/setroubleshoot/analyze.py", line 661, in new_audit_record_handler
self.avc_event_handler(audit_event)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/setroubleshoot/analyze.py", line 647, in avc_event_handler
avc = AVC(audit_event)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/setroubleshoot/audit_data.py", line 586, in __init__
self.derive_avc_info_from_audit_event()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/setroubleshoot/audit_data.py", line 884, in derive_avc_info_from_audit_event
raise ValueError("Invalid AVC %s, it is allowed in current policy" % avc)
NameError: global name 'avc' is not defined

Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Dominick Grift

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 01:34:16AM -0500, Robert Nichols wrote:
> What, in the hopelessly complex chain of process startups, is supposed to start
> setroubleshootd? I find it is either not getting started or silently dieing on

Currently DBUS

> my Fedora 12 system. I find I've been getting a bunch of AVCs logged, with no
> alert of course, and no way to get those AVCs translated with human-readable
> timestamps so that I have the slightest chance of correlating those with

ausearch -m avc -ts recent --interpret

> anything else going on in the system. ("sealert -a
> /var/log/audit/audit.log" just dies with "NameError: global name
> 'avc' is not defined".)
>
> The manpage for sealert mentions a GUI browser. That must have been in
> somebody's wet dream, because there is no such thing. Regardless of how
> sealert is started, the GUI menu discussed in the manpage does not exist.
>
> Again, SElinux turns out to be a bigger pain than anything it is supposedly
> protecting against.

Please do not generalize, just because SETroubleshoot is not exactly a miracle that does not mean the rest of SELinux is a pain as well.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 04/21/2010 02:34 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> What, in the hopelessly complex chain of process startups, is supposed
> to start
> setroubleshootd?

setroubleshootd is now a dbus service. It is supposed to be started
when and AVC arrives or you start the sealert browser. It dies 10
seconds after the last connection/AVC arrival.

This link describes how it is supposed to work.
http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/28828.html

Sounds like you might have found a bug in setroubleshoot.
Setroubleshoot will also command suicide if the avc is about itself.

I find it is either not getting started or silently
> dieing on
> my Fedora 12 system. I find I've been getting a bunch of AVCs logged,
> with no
> alert of course, and no way to get those AVCs translated with
> human-readable
> timestamps so that I have the slightest chance of correlating those with
> anything else going on in the system. ("sealert -a
> /var/log/audit/audit.log" just dies with "NameError: global name 'avc'
> is not defined".)

You can see the AVC's via ausearch.

ausearch -m avc -ts recent

To show recent avc's

ausearch -m avc -ts today

To show todays AVCs
> The manpage for sealert mentions a GUI browser. That must have been in
> somebody's wet dream, because there is no such thing. Regardless of how
> sealert is started, the GUI menu discussed in the manpage does not exist.

Applications/System Tools/SELinux Troubleshooter
sealert -b
will launch the browser.

man sealert
-b --browser
Launch the browser

If the browser is blowing up you could just execute
sealert -S

And see if it is throwing an exception.
> Again, SElinux turns out to be a bigger pain than anything it is supposedly
> protecting against.

Send me the output of ausearch -m avc -ts today and I will see what is
going on.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Robert Nichols

On 04/21/2010 04:22 AM, Dominick Grift wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 01:34:16AM -0500, Robert Nichols wrote:
>> What, in the hopelessly complex chain of process startups, is supposed to start
>> setroubleshootd? I find it is either not getting started or silently dieing on
>
> Currently DBUS
>
>> my Fedora 12 system. I find I've been getting a bunch of AVCs logged, with no
>> alert of course, and no way to get those AVCs translated with human-readable
>> timestamps so that I have the slightest chance of correlating those with
>
> ausearch -m avc -ts recent --interpret
>
>> anything else going on in the system. ("sealert -a
>> /var/log/audit/audit.log" just dies with "NameError: global name
>> 'avc' is not defined".)
>>
>> The manpage for sealert mentions a GUI browser. That must have been in
>> somebody's wet dream, because there is no such thing. Regardless of how
>> sealert is started, the GUI menu discussed in the manpage does not exist.
>>
>> Again, SElinux turns out to be a bigger pain than anything it is supposedly
>> protecting against.
>
> Please do not generalize, just because SETroubleshoot is not exactly a miracle that does not mean the rest of SELinux is a pain as well.

When the analysis and reporting tools are not working, the entire glorious
package becomes just another broken down luxury car blocking the center
lane of the expressway and needing to be hauled away.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Robert Nichols

On 04/21/2010 08:02 AM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Send me the output of ausearch -m avc -ts today and I will see what is
> going on.

Last night, the audit log got rotated and "sealert -s" no longer crashes.
Here's what I think occurred:

1. I got a bunch of AVCs (part of the "root procmail" problem).

2. I installed local policy to allow those actions.

3. sealert crashes when it encounters an old AVC that the current
policy allows. Perhaps setroubleshootd is having the same
problem. Now that logrotate has pushed out those pesky AVCs,
no more crash. (Right now, auditd seems to have stopped logging
new messages and has to be restarted, but that's an independent
problem.)

I'll try to research this further, but coming up with a test case that
can be easily reproduced on another system isn't going to be easy.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Dominick Grift

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 09:48:26AM -0500, Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 04/21/2010 04:22 AM, Dominick Grift wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 01:34:16AM -0500, Robert Nichols wrote:
> >> What, in the hopelessly complex chain of process startups, is supposed to start
> >> setroubleshootd? I find it is either not getting started or silently dieing on
> >
> > Currently DBUS
> >
> >> my Fedora 12 system. I find I've been getting a bunch of AVCs logged, with no
> >> alert of course, and no way to get those AVCs translated with human-readable
> >> timestamps so that I have the slightest chance of correlating those with
> >
> > ausearch -m avc -ts recent --interpret
> >
> >> anything else going on in the system. ("sealert -a
> >> /var/log/audit/audit.log" just dies with "NameError: global name
> >> 'avc' is not defined".)
> >>
> >> The manpage for sealert mentions a GUI browser. That must have been in
> >> somebody's wet dream, because there is no such thing. Regardless of how
> >> sealert is started, the GUI menu discussed in the manpage does not exist.
> >>
> >> Again, SElinux turns out to be a bigger pain than anything it is supposedly
> >> protecting against.
> >
> > Please do not generalize, just because SETroubleshoot is not exactly a miracle that does not mean the rest of SELinux is a pain as well.
>
> When the analysis and reporting tools are not working, the entire glorious
> package becomes just another broken down luxury car blocking the center
> lane of the expressway and needing to be hauled away.

Now youre comparing it to cars?
You do not need setroubleshoot in the first place. You could simple uninstall it and use other analysis and reporting tools like aureport, audit2allow etc.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Robert Nichols

On 04/21/2010 10:04 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> Last night, the audit log got rotated and "sealert -s" no longer crashes.
> Here's what I think occurred:
>
> 1. I got a bunch of AVCs (part of the "root procmail" problem).
>
> 2. I installed local policy to allow those actions.
>
> 3. sealert crashes when it encounters an old AVC that the current
> policy allows. Perhaps setroubleshootd is having the same
> problem. Now that logrotate has pushed out those pesky AVCs,
> no more crash. (Right now, auditd seems to have stopped logging
> new messages and has to be restarted, but that's an independent
> problem.)
>
> I'll try to research this further, but coming up with a test case that
> can be easily reproduced on another system isn't going to be easy.

No, that's not what's doing it. I tracked it down to 1 line in the old
audit.log file. Here's the killer:

type=AVC msg=audit(1265646923.059:12565): avc: denied { search } for pid=1557
comm="polkitd" name=".config" dev=sda2 ino=32945
scontext=system_u:system_rolicykit_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
tcontext=system_ubject_r:gnome_home_t:s0 tclass=dir

When "sealert -a" reads a file containing just that one line, the result
is:

100% doneTraceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/setroubleshoot/analyze.py", line
621, in task
self.close()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/setroubleshoot/analyze.py", line
608, in close