FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora SELinux Support

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Neeraj Vishwakarma
 
Default selinux Digest, Vol 73, Issue 20

On 3/22/10, selinux-request@lists.fedoraproject.org
<selinux-request@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Send selinux mailing list submissions to
> selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/selinux
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> selinux-request@lists.fedoraproject.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> selinux-owner@lists.fedoraproject.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of selinux digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Looking for SELinux advice regarding samba, apache
> (Toby Ovod-Everett)
> 2. Re: Looking for SELinux advice regarding samba, apache
> (Dominick Grift)
> 3. selinux-policy.spec: Buildrequires missing make and gcc.
> (Dominick Grift)
> 4. Re: selinux-policy.spec: Buildrequires missing make and gcc.
> (Chuck Anderson)
> 5. Re: selinux-policy.spec: Buildrequires missing make and gcc.
> (Dominick Grift)
> 6. Re: selinux-policy.spec: Buildrequires missing make and gcc.
> (Jason L Tibbitts III)
> 7. Re: Looking for SELinux advice regarding samba, apache
> (Paul Howarth)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 08:21:02 -0800
> From: Toby Ovod-Everett <toby@ovod-everett.org>
> Subject: Looking for SELinux advice regarding samba, apache
> To: selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Message-ID: <20100321162102.GA1875@vin.ovod-everett.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Two issues in this e-mail. The first is a general request for advice on how
> to structure things for a home-grown photo system I developed - I had it
> working, now the SELinux config has some issues, etc. The second is that
> something changed in libselinux or selinux-policy since January 17th and
> it's
> causing Samba some issues.
>
> So, here's a brief overview of the photo archive system I developed, the
> issues, and how I have them currently resolved.
>
> My server machine runs Fedora 12 with a pretty vanilla configuration and I
> run
> yum update regularly. I have two partitions - /, which contains the OS
> install, user directories, etc., and /data, which I use for some large data
> sets that I don't want to have to copy when rebuilding the machine during OS
> upgrades. In particular, the major large data set is /data/photos.
>
> There are three major directory trees that impact the photo system:
>
> /data/photos - contains the actual digital images in /data/photos/images and
> the information about them in /data/photos/info. Context from / is:
>
> dr-xr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_r:root_t:s0 .
> drwxr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_rublic_content_rw_t:s0 data
> drwxrwsr-x. root photos system_ubject_rublic_content_rw_t:s0 photos
>
> /data/photos needs to be r/w for my user account (which is a member of
> photos)
> and readable for apache. I generally access /data/photos through Samba from
> my user machine which runs (gasp) Windows 7.
>
>
> /var/www/cgi-bin/photos - contains the Perl scripts that implement the web
> frontend for viewing the photos (loading photos is all done from the Command
> Line). I have httpd_enable_cgi=>on in order to support this. Context is
> unchanged from default configs. Desire r/w access through Samba from my
> user
> machine for editing the scripts using Notepad++.
>
>
> /var/www/html/thumbnails - contains directories of thumbnails for the
> photos.
> These are persistently cached in this tree and automatically generated or
> updated as required by the Perl scripts above when required. This data
> doesn't have to persist across rebuilds. There are different subdirectories
> for the different supported thumbnail sizes and each subdir and needs to be
> r/w for apache. Context from / is:
> dr-xr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_r:root_t:s0 .
> drwxr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_r:var_t:s0 var
> drwxr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0 www
> drwxr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0 html
> drwxrwsr-x. root root unconfined_ubject_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0
> thumbnails
> drwxrwsr-x. root apache unconfined_ubject_rublic_content_rw_t:s0 180x180
>
>
> One of the main issues is that I need Samba to have r/w to a bunch of the
> trees that apache needs access to. Current Samba SELinux config is
> samba_enable_home_dirs=>on, allow_smbd_anon_write=>on,
> samba_export_all_rw=>on. I'd like to be able to pull the latter eventually,
> but then I need to be able to figure out how to give Samba r/w access to the
> cgi-bin directory.
>
>
> Now on to the "what broke" question. Somewhere in the last two months (it's
> been a while since I've added photos), I lost the ability to use Samba to
> access /data/photos. Generally I access it through a symlink in my homedir:
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 toby toby 12 2008-11-28 15:05 photos -> /data/photos
>
> This has stopped working. Things I tried:
> * Verifying symlinks. I have Mail -> mail in my homedir and that still
> works.
> * Verifying SELinux settings conform to above model.
> * Creating a separate share for /data/photos. This worked.
>
> I Obviously have a workaround now, but as a solution it's annoying, because
> it
> requires me to create separate shares for all of the things I want to access
> from my Windows machine (/data/photos, /var/www/cgi-bin/photos, and
> /var/www/html/public_html/toby) and then map to them all separately on my
> Windows machine on separate drive letters, instead of having a single share
> that accesses everything.
>
> I'm beginning to suspect the problem is Samba, not SELinux, because my
> attempts at using semodule -DB and ausearch (both avc and user_avc) don't
> turn
> up any events that correlate with attempts to access those directories
> through
> the symlinks. At this point, I'm beginning to suspect a fix in Samba 3.4.6
> or
> 3.4.7 related to the "Samba Remote Directory Traversal" exploit that was
> announced in early February, but I'm hitting my patience limit (my 3 year
> old
> is ready for breakfast), so I'm going to stop writing and go with my
> workaround for now. But if anyone has advice, please offer!
>
> --Toby Ovod-Everett
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:17:51 +0100
> From: Dominick Grift <domg472@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Looking for SELinux advice regarding samba, apache
> To: selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Message-ID: <20100321171750.GA20876@localhost.localdomain>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 08:21:02AM -0800, Toby Ovod-Everett wrote:
>
> Here are some things to take into consideration:
>
> 1. For the perspective of SELinux we do not have to do anything to give
> users access since in a vanilla Fedora 12
> configuration users are unconfined (exempted for SELinux).
>
> 2. We can give Samba access to read and write any content by setting boolean
> samba_export_all_rw true.
>
> This means that we only have to take care of http.
>
> Using the samba_export_all_rw boolean is essential i believe to meet your
> exotic requirements.
>
>> There are three major directory trees that impact the photo system:
>>
>> /data/photos - contains the actual digital images in /data/photos/images
>> and
>> the information about them in /data/photos/info. Context from / is:
>>
>> dr-xr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_r:root_t:s0 .
>> drwxr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_rublic_content_rw_t:s0 data
>> drwxrwsr-x. root photos system_ubject_rublic_content_rw_t:s0 photos
>>
>> /data/photos needs to be r/w for my user account (which is a member of
>> photos)
>
> As said above by default users are unconfined wrt SELinux in a stock Fedora
> 12 config thus no need to do anything here.
>
>> and readable for apache. I generally access /data/photos through Samba
>> from
>> my user machine which runs (gasp) Windows 7.
>
> You should probably label data and everything below data type
> httpd_sys_content_t. httpd is allowed to read that type.
>
>>
>>
>> /var/www/cgi-bin/photos - contains the Perl scripts that implement the web
>> frontend for viewing the photos (loading photos is all done from the
>> Command
>> Line). I have httpd_enable_cgi=>on in order to support this. Context is
>> unchanged from default configs. Desire r/w access through Samba from my
>> user
>> machine for editing the scripts using Notepad++.
>
> Leave this as is. Apache can run scripts labeled httpd_sys_script_exec_t in
> the httpd_sys_script_t domain. Samba can read and write any content if
> samba_export_all_rw is set.
>
> The use of the samba_export_all_rw boolean is discouraged since obviously
> samba will be able to write almost any file.
> However you do not have much choice unless you modify policy in a major way.
> I would probably use openssh to edit these scripts.
>
>>
>> /var/www/html/thumbnails - contains directories of thumbnails for the
>> photos.
>> These are persistently cached in this tree and automatically generated or
>> updated as required by the Perl scripts above when required. This data
>> doesn't have to persist across rebuilds. There are different
>> subdirectories
>> for the different supported thumbnail sizes and each subdir and needs to
>> be
>> r/w for apache. Context from / is:
>> dr-xr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_r:root_t:s0 .
>> drwxr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_r:var_t:s0 var
>> drwxr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0 www
>> drwxr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0 html
>> drwxrwsr-x. root root unconfined_ubject_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0
>> thumbnails
>> drwxrwsr-x. root apache unconfined_ubject_rublic_content_rw_t:s0
>> 180x180
>
> If your perl webscript needs to create files in exisiting sub directories in
> tumbnails/ Then i would label these sub directories type
> httpd_sys_content_rw_t and set httpd_anon_write to true.
>
> Samba will be able to read and write to these files and types since the
> samba_export_all_rw allows samba to read and write almost any type.
>
>>
>> One of the main issues is that I need Samba to have r/w to a bunch of the
>> trees that apache needs access to. Current Samba SELinux config is
>> samba_enable_home_dirs=>on, allow_smbd_anon_write=>on,
>> samba_export_all_rw=>on. I'd like to be able to pull the latter
>> eventually,
>> but then I need to be able to figure out how to give Samba r/w access to
>> the
>> cgi-bin directory.
>
> If you set samba_export_all_rw to true then you do not need the
> public_content_(rw)_types. Since samba will be albe to read and write almost
> any file and type. In that case i believe you can set allow_samba_anon_write
> to false.
>
>>
>> Now on to the "what broke" question. Somewhere in the last two months
>> (it'si
>> been a while since I've added photos), I lost the ability to use Samba to
>> access /data/photos. Generally I access it through a symlink in my
>> homedir:
>> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 toby toby 12 2008-11-28 15:05 photos -> /data/photos
>>
>> This has stopped working. Things I tried:
>> * Verifying symlinks. I have Mail -> mail in my homedir and that still
>> works.
>> * Verifying SELinux settings conform to above model.
>> * Creating a separate share for /data/photos. This worked.
>
> If this is at all SELinux related ( see if it works in permissive mode to
> rule in or rule out SELinux) then it would
> help if you enclose an AVC denial. Some denials are hidden use semodule -DB
> to expose hidden denials and semodule -B to go back to the original state.
>
>> I Obviously have a workaround now, but as a solution it's annoying,
>> because it
>> requires me to create separate shares for all of the things I want to
>> access
>> from my Windows machine (/data/photos, /var/www/cgi-bin/photos, and
>> /var/www/html/public_html/toby) and then map to them all separately on my
>> Windows machine on separate drive letters, instead of having a single
>> share
>> that accesses everything.
>>
>> I'm beginning to suspect the problem is Samba, not SELinux, because my
>> attempts at using semodule -DB and ausearch (both avc and user_avc) don't
>> turn
>> up any events that correlate with attempts to access those directories
>> through
>> the symlinks. At this point, I'm beginning to suspect a fix in Samba
>> 3.4.6 or
>> 3.4.7 related to the "Samba Remote Directory Traversal" exploit that was
>> announced in early February, but I'm hitting my patience limit (my 3 year
>> old
>> is ready for breakfast), so I'm going to stop writing and go with my
>> workaround for now. But if anyone has advice, please offer!
>
> I would probably attempt to implement a solution that does not require
> samba_export_all_rw to be set true since that
> is very coarse.
>
> However with your requirements this is the only simple way.
>
> I would probably use openssh where ever possible. that may be just enough to
> be able to set samba_export_all_rw to false.
>
> Another solution would be to perform serious surgery to fedora policy. You
> would create special types and a special web app domain and give both apache
> and samba the permissions required.
>
>>
>> --Toby Ovod-Everett
>> --
>> selinux mailing list
>> selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/selinux
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: application/pgp-signature
> Size: 198 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url :
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/selinux/attachments/20100321/db43dc28/attachment-0001.bin
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 22:18:20 +0100
> From: Dominick Grift <domg472@gmail.com>
> Subject: selinux-policy.spec: Buildrequires missing make and gcc.
> To: selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Message-ID: <20100321211819.GA25304@localhost.localdomain>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> I tried to build a RPM package using Fedoras spec file on a minimal fedora
> system and it blew up on cc.
> So i looked into the spec file that is supplies by tresys in refpolicy and
> found that it has buildrequires for make and gcc.
> Fedora spec does not include those build requires.
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: application/pgp-signature
> Size: 198 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url :
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/selinux/attachments/20100321/495db24d/attachment-0001.bin
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:23:28 -0400
> From: Chuck Anderson <cra@WPI.EDU>
> Subject: Re: selinux-policy.spec: Buildrequires missing make and gcc.
> To: selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Message-ID: <20100321212328.GA25379@angus.ind.WPI.EDU>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:18:20PM +0100, Dominick Grift wrote:
>> I tried to build a RPM package using Fedoras spec file on a minimal fedora
>> system and it blew up on cc.
>> So i looked into the spec file that is supplies by tresys in refpolicy and
>> found that it has buildrequires for make and gcc.
>> Fedora spec does not include those build requires.
>
> Not required by Fedora:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines#Exceptions_2
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 23:05:09 +0100
> From: Dominick Grift <domg472@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: selinux-policy.spec: Buildrequires missing make and gcc.
> To: selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Message-ID: <20100321220508.GB25304@localhost.localdomain>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 05:23:28PM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:18:20PM +0100, Dominick Grift wrote:
>> > I tried to build a RPM package using Fedoras spec file on a minimal
>> > fedora system and it blew up on cc.
>> > So i looked into the spec file that is supplies by tresys in refpolicy
>> > and found that it has buildrequires for make and gcc.
>> > Fedora spec does not include those build requires.
>>
>> Not required by Fedora:
> well in that case fedora selinux-policy.spec should remove its gawk and
> bzip2 buildrequires since they are also in that list. Anyways i decided to
> just add the build requires (gcc and make) because i did stumble upon the
> issue and i do not see what harm it does to include them.
>
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines#Exceptions_2
>> --
>> selinux mailing list
>> selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/selinux
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: application/pgp-signature
> Size: 198 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url :
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/selinux/attachments/20100321/5a72db99/attachment-0001.bin
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:08:27 -0500
> From: "Jason L Tibbitts III" <tibbs@math.uh.edu>
> Subject: Re: selinux-policy.spec: Buildrequires missing make and gcc.
> To: Dominick Grift <domg472@gmail.com>
> Cc: selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Message-ID: <ufafx3tgwf8.fsf@epithumia.math.uh.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>>>>>> "DG" == Dominick Grift <domg472@gmail.com> writes:
>
> DG> well in that case fedora selinux-policy.spec should remove its gawk
> DG> and bzip2 buildrequires since they are also in that list.
>
> The phrase "is not required" does not have the same meaning as "is
> prohibited".
>
> - J<
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:18:48 +0000
> From: Paul Howarth <paul@city-fan.org>
> Subject: Re: Looking for SELinux advice regarding samba, apache
> To: selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Message-ID: <4BA735F8.20305@city-fan.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
>
> On 21/03/10 16:21, Toby Ovod-Everett wrote:
>> Now on to the "what broke" question. Somewhere in the last two months
>> (it's
>> been a while since I've added photos), I lost the ability to use Samba to
>> access /data/photos. Generally I access it through a symlink in my
>> homedir:
>> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 toby toby 12 2008-11-28 15:05 photos -> /data/photos
>>
>> This has stopped working. Things I tried:
>> * Verifying symlinks. I have Mail -> mail in my homedir and that still
>> works.
>> * Verifying SELinux settings conform to above model.
>> * Creating a separate share for /data/photos. This worked.
>>
>> I Obviously have a workaround now, but as a solution it's annoying,
>> because it
>> requires me to create separate shares for all of the things I want to
>> access
>> from my Windows machine (/data/photos, /var/www/cgi-bin/photos, and
>> /var/www/html/public_html/toby) and then map to them all separately on my
>> Windows machine on separate drive letters, instead of having a single
>> share
>> that accesses everything.
>
> In your samba config, do you have any settings for:
>
> unix extentions
> follow symlinks
> wide links
>
> I believe you need the following to be able to follow symlinks outside
> of the directory tree that is shared using samba:
>
> unix extensions = no
> follow symlinks = yes
> wide links = yes
>
> Paul.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> --
> selinux mailing list
> selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/selinux
>
> End of selinux Digest, Vol 73, Issue 20
> ***************************************
>

--
Sent from my mobile device

NEERAJ VISHWAKARMA
--
selinux mailing list
selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/selinux
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org