Old 03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Mark Watts

Default Can Solaris be SELinuxed ?

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 21:54 +0900, Shintaro Fujiwara wrote:
> Hi, my fellow worker is interested in Solaris.
> I'm persuading him to install Fedora, but he doesn't listen to me.
> Is Solaris 10 can be SELinuxized ?
> Thanks.

As the name implies, SELinux is for Linux only.

Solaris does have multi-level and RBAC type security though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Solaris

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower

Old 03-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Stephen Smalley

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 21:54 +0900, Shintaro Fujiwara wrote:
> Hi, my fellow worker is interested in Solaris.
> I'm persuading him to install Fedora, but he doesn't listen to me.
> Is Solaris 10 can be SELinuxized ?

Solaris 10 does not provide a direct equivalent to the flexible MAC
architecture and Type Enforcement model of SELinux. It does however
offer MLS ("Trusted Extensions", one label per zone) and RBAC (primarily
defined by trusted applications, with the kernel only aware of the
privilege mechanism) functionality.

There is a project to replicate the Flask architecture in OpenSolaris,
see:
http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+fmac/Presentations

However, it isn't clear what the future is for that project.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency

Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 03/02/2010 07:54 AM, Shintaro Fujiwara wrote:
> Hi, my fellow worker is interested in Solaris.
> I'm persuading him to install Fedora, but he doesn't listen to me.
> Is Solaris 10 can be SELinuxized ?
> Thanks.

There has been some work done to add SELinux to Solaris, but I am not
sure of the state of this work and what the implications of the Oracle deal.

Google Solaris fmac

http://gcn.com/articles/2008/03/17/sun-solaris-to-adopt-nsa-security-model.aspx