Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Default ALSA problems.

I was forced to install ALSA manually in my F8 system and unfortunately,
I discovered that setting /.autorelabel did not correctly set ALSA permissions.

I did note that a bug report was filed for this.

Meanwhile, I would like a solution to solve my issue, if there is one?

Kind regards,
Dan

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Eric Paris

-ENOINFO

what problems are you having, why do you believe this is an selinux
issue, please, tell us what is happening, what you are seeing and
provide output of errors? If this is selinux you will find message in
either /var/log/messages or /var/log/audit/audit.log which will be most
interesting to the people on this list.

-Eric

Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Eric Paris wrote:
>what problems are you having, why do you believe this is an selinux
>issue, please, tell us what is happening, what you are seeing and
>provide output of errors? If this is selinux you will find message in
>either /var/log/messages or /var/log/audit/audit.log which will be most
>interesting to the people on this list.
>
>-Eric
>
>>Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> I was forced to install ALSA manually in my F8 system and
>unfortunately,
>> I discovered that setting /.autorelabel did not correctly
>set ALSA permissions.
>>
>> I did note that a bug report was filed for this.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I would like a solution to solve my issue, if
>there is one?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Dan

This is something I just found when searching the /var/log/message file
but this is not related to ALSA, but to rhgb:

Jan 7 13:11:44 localhost kernel: audit(1199740241.970:9): avc: denied { read write } for pid=1775 comm="consoletype" path="/dev/pts/0" dev=devpts ino=2 scontext=system_u:system_r:consoletype_t:s0 tcontext=system_ubject_r:rhgb_devpts_t:s0 tclass=chr_file

As for ALSA issues, there was a problem writing to /etc/asound.state and to ~/.asoundrc
but this is not recorded where I can find it. It only happens during logoff/shutdown
and I see it very briefly and it appears to be an 'alsactl store' command failure and
*maybe* the log below is related to it but I cannot confirm it.

Jan 8 12:28:30 gold kernel: audit(1199823854.622:4): avc: denied { getattr } for pid=1264 comm="salsa" path="/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf" dev=sda5 ino=147458 scontext=system_u:system_r:alsa_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tcontext=system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 tclass=file

I DO know that alsactl is not able to set the volume control settings for which
I am forced to reset every time at login after a boot. There was some months
ago that Daniel Walsh wrote as a bug report in getting the /etc/asound.state
moved to /var/lib directory and it was written on Sept 17, 2007.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Dan Thurman

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 03:58:20 pm Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Eric Paris wrote:
> >what problems are you having, why do you believe this is an selinux
> >issue, please, tell us what is happening, what you are seeing and
> >provide output of errors?* If this is selinux you will find message in
> >either /var/log/messages or /var/log/audit/audit.log which will be most
> >interesting to the people on this list.
> >
> >-Eric
> >
> >>Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> >> I was forced to install ALSA manually in my F8 system and
> >
> >unfortunately,
> >
> >> I discovered that setting /.autorelabel did not correctly
> >
> >set ALSA permissions.
> >
> >> I did note that a bug report was filed for this.
> >>
> >> Meanwhile, I would like a solution to solve my issue, if
> >
> >there is one?
> >
> >> Kind regards,
> >> Dan
>
> This is something I just found when searching the /var/log/message file
> but this is not related to ALSA, but to rhgb:
> Jan* 7 13:11:44 localhost kernel: audit(1199740241.970:9): avc:* denied* {
> read write } for* pid=1775 comm="consoletype" path="/dev/pts/0" dev=devpts
> ino=2 scontext=system_u:system_r:consoletype_t:s0
> tcontext=system_ubject_r:rhgb_devpts_t:s0 tclass=chr_file As for ALSA
> issues, there was a problem writing to /etc/asound.state and to ~/.asoundrc
> but this is not recorded where I can find it.* It only happens during
> logoff/shutdown and I see it very briefly and it appears to be an 'alsactl
> store' command failure and *maybe* the log below is related to it but I
> cannot confirm it.
> Jan* 8 12:28:30 gold kernel: audit(1199823854.622:4): avc:* denied* {
> getattr } for* pid=1264 comm="salsa" path="/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf"
> dev=sda5 ino=147458 scontext=system_u:system_r:alsa_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
> tcontext=system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 tclass=file I DO know that alsactl is
> not able to set the volume control settings for which I am forced to reset
> every time at login after a boot.* There was some months ago that Daniel
> Walsh wrote as a bug report in getting the /etc/asound.state moved to
> /var/lib directory and it was written on Sept 17, 2007.

Is there any resolution to this issue? Seems that no one is responding
as to what I can to do try to analyze or to fix this issue?

Old 01-10-2008, 02:20 AM
"Mr.Scrooge"

--- Dan Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 January 2008 03:58:20 pm Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > Eric Paris wrote:
> > >what problems are you having, why do you believe this is an selinux
> > >issue, please, tell us what is happening, what you are seeing and
> > >provide output of errors? If this is selinux you will find message in
> > >either /var/log/messages or /var/log/audit/audit.log which will be most
> > >interesting to the people on this list.
> > >
> > >-Eric

> > >unfortunately,

> > >set ALSA permissions.

> > >there is one?

> > This is something I just found when searching the /var/log/message file
> > but this is not related to ALSA, but to rhgb:
> > Jan 7 13:11:44 localhost kernel: audit(1199740241.970:9): avc: denied {
> > read write } for pid=1775 comm="consoletype" path="/dev/pts/0" dev=devpts
> > ino=2 scontext=system_u:system_r:consoletype_t:s0
> > tcontext=system_ubject_r:rhgb_devpts_t:s0 tclass=chr_file As for ALSA
> > issues, there was a problem writing to /etc/asound.state and to ~/.asoundrc
> > but this is not recorded where I can find it. It only happens during
> > logoff/shutdown and I see it very briefly and it appears to be an 'alsactl
> > store' command failure and *maybe* the log below is related to it but I
> > cannot confirm it.
> > Jan 8 12:28:30 gold kernel: audit(1199823854.622:4): avc: denied {
> > getattr } for pid=1264 comm="salsa" path="/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf"
> > dev=sda5 ino=147458 scontext=system_u:system_r:alsa_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
> > tcontext=system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 tclass=file I DO know that alsactl is
> > not able to set the volume control settings for which I am forced to reset
> > every time at login after a boot. There was some months ago that Daniel
> > Walsh wrote as a bug report in getting the /etc/asound.state moved to
> > /var/lib directory and it was written on Sept 17, 2007.
> >

> Is there any resolution to this issue? Seems that no one is responding
> as to what I can to do try to analyze or to fix this issue?

I am resisting the temptation to quote YODA!