Old 12-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Hans de Goede

Default ANNOUNCE: mdadm 3.1.1 - A tool for managing Soft RAID under Linux

Hi,

On 12/01/2009 04:19 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:

Hans de Goede (hdegoede@redhat.com) said:

No, not quite. You can use superblock version 1.0 on /boot and grub
will then work. Both version 0.90 and version 1.0 superblocks are at
the end of the device and do not confuse boot loaders. Here's a summary
of superblock format differences:

Ok, so for /boot we must specify a superblock version, should we use 1.0 or
0.9 (I assume 1.0, but confirmation of that would be good).

Knowing little about the details, couldn't the possibility of fixing grub
be investigated?

Long story short: no

Longer answer:

Grub uses the BIOS to access disks, it knows about partitions and some
filesystems, so that it can load the initrd and the kernel, expecting grub
to do software raid (in cases it is not done by the BIOS), is just asking
for trouble, as then we have 2 RAID implementations to maintain (3 actually
if you count both dmraid and mdraid). Also where does this stop, we could
also add support for lvm to grub, and maybe support for dmcrypt, etc.

At some point enough is enough. Grub is meant to load the kernel and the initrd
KISS and Unix philosophy mandates it does that and only that and does it well.

That means that we should put the kernel and the initrd somewhere were it is
easy for grub to access, and a RAID set (unless exported as a normal disk by
the BIOS) is not easy for GRUB to access.

Regards,

Hans