-   -   Samba Sharing (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-selinux-support/230947-samba-sharing.html)

Frank Murphy 01-20-2009 10:06 AM

Samba Sharing

Having had a look at:

http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/14195.html

and smb.conf

I won't to share a dir+ subs on my sambassh server.

So I would

chcon -R -t samba_share_t /myfiles ( a folder immediately under root,
owned by me and accessible to @samba users)

The run
semanage fcontext -a -t samba_share_t ’/myfiles(/.*)?’

to hold the context after a full relabel?

Basically the users need rw to /myfiles (their own sub folders of)

Frank

Stephen Smalley 01-20-2009 12:27 PM

Samba Sharing

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 11:07 +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> sorry typo should read:
>

> chcon -R -t samba_share_t /myfiles ( a folder immediately under /
> owned by me and accessible to @samba users)
>
> The run
> semanage fcontext -a -t samba_share_t ’/myfiles(/.*)?’
>
> to hold the context after a full relabel?

Alternatively, you can run the semanage fcontext command first, then run
'restorecon -R /myfiles' and it will apply the label you specified via
the prior semanage command to that directory tree. No need to specify
the type twice in that case.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency

Errol Sapir 08-03-2012 09:13 AM

samba sharing

Hi All
Before I pose my problem with Samba I would like to show/point out a
strange/funny activity on the Kubuntu forum site.

The site is:
http://www.kubuntuforums.net/content.php?s=85a01516a6f19daf6d1150b684d239d4

On the right hand side is a column. In the fourth article in that column
is the title "upgrading. Next to that word there is an "ant" or some
black insect running around. In the beginning I thought it was my screen
but I checked this out on another computer and saw the same "insect".
If it was a bug I report it to bugzilla but it is only an insect :)

Now for my Samba problem. I want to share photos with other people in my
family who use Windows. They are all in the same workgroup. The photos I
want to share are on a separate disk to my Kubuntu installation but are
totally visible on my computer. The photos I want to share have been
copied to a folder called "public". All the members of my family "see"
my computer but are asked for a user name and password. When trying all
known user nams and passwords nothing happens. They cannot see the
folder I try to share.
I have tried endless configurations that I saw on the internet or in
youtube but nothing helps. Is there a howto to solve this problem for me
using Kubuntu. Most of the other suggestions are for Ubuntu.
By the way I can see shared files from the windows computers. They
cannot see my shares.

TIA
Errol

Clay Weber 08-03-2012 11:10 AM

samba sharing

On Friday, August 03, 2012 12:13:41 PM Errol Sapir wrote:
> Hi All
> Before I pose my problem with Samba I would like to show/point out a
> strange/funny activity on the Kubuntu forum site.
> The site is:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/content.php?s=85a01516a6f19daf6d1150b684d239d4

> On the right hand side is a column. In the fourth article in that column
> is the title "upgrading. Next to that word there is an "ant" or some
> black insect running around. In the beginning I thought it was my screen
> but I checked this out on another computer and saw the same "insect".
> If it was a bug I report it to bugzilla but it is only an insect :)
>

> Errol

lol, that is simply the avatar of one of KFN's members, Teunis. I believe the
effect he wants to achieve has been accomplished :) He has had that avatar so
long, most of us don't even notice anymore.

Any bugs in Kubuntuforums should be posted there, we don't use any fancy bug
tracker there as it is a bit overkill for us over there.

Clay (claydoh)
http://kubuntuforums.net

Leslie Anne Chatterton 08-03-2012 01:24 PM

samba sharing

Hi Errol,

I share your frustration!

Your problem with Samba is one I am very familiar with. It may be related to the security concerns that are rightly front and centre in Linux - or it may be my own failure to adequately master the extensive documentation (or incompetence on the part of some of those who write the code, but I'm not in a position to judge that).

I have tried (and failed) off and on for five years to try and get Samba to work consistently on my home network of sometimes up to 10 machines, including Android phones and tablets. Distributing the internet has always worked very smoothly. Sharing files, not so much. I've pretty much given up in favour of sneakernet. That which worked so effortlessly in Windows seems to be impossible in Kubuntu. (MS seems to be ruining even that in Win 7.)

When I asked for help, several times, in another 'buntu group the attitude seemed to be "its not a feature I use" or "just type the IP address in" - and even that didn't always work. I'm a great fan of Linux, but that doesn't blind me to its shortcomings.

i have learned that Samba sometimes seems to spontaneously change the smb.conf settings to remove the check mark from the requirement to use encrypted encrypted passwords. This disables sharing with Windows. I've also found that asking fora password is just another way of refusing access. Sometimes just stopping and restarting the Samba service and running winbindd (sic) as root gets it going. Using static IP's doesn't seem to matter, in my limited experience. And the problem afflicts sharing between Kubuntu systems too.

I just wish someone would fix Samba; simplify it greatly and make it really easy to use. It suffers from a plague of "feature bloat". Many of us would really appreciate a fresh approach for home users that may be a little less secure but useful and foolproof. After all, we are not all running major government departments, and if someone steals my vacation photos I'm not going to go out of business! Wikileaks proved that...

Please understand, I'm not bashing Kubuntu or Linux. I use it daily and love it. The only Windows I own came with the computer and I keep it for the sake of the few bits of software that won't run under Wine and yet are needed to set up or maintain things like eye.fi, Kobo etc. I detest the predatory policies of MS and consider it a third rate operating system.

Many of us have been thoroughly frustrated by the problem of file sharing for too long. Could we have a little help here?

Leslie Anne

Retired teacher of Computer Tech

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet running Jelly Bean

Errol Sapir 08-03-2012 02:05 PM

samba sharing

Hi Leslie Anne
We seem not only to share the frustrations with Samba but a past as
well. I am very recently retired (this month) as the IT administrator of
a high school's computers. The pension rules in this country (Israel) do
not allow Town Councils to have people on their payroll after pension
age. I was lucky to have my job extended by 2 years but now I am on
pension. I hope to still find a job in my field and have actually been
promised one. Anyway enough about that!
I have also had the Samba problem for years (sometimes it shares,
sometimes not) and I have always thought the problem was my not
configuring samba correctly. From what you say there is no "correct" way
of configuring Samba - at least in Kubuntu??? My friends say that Ubuntu
Samba sharing works for them but I really like KDE.

Anybody out there with solutions??

Errol

are needed to set up or maintain things like eye.fi <http://eye.fi>,

Mike McGinn 08-03-2012 02:09 PM

samba sharing

I have been running Kubuntu and using Samba for over five years with no
problems. I do not use the GUI tools to configure samba, I just edit
/etc/samba/smb.cnf by hand.

Mike

On Friday, August 03, 2012 10:05:03 Errol Sapir wrote:
> [...]
> > only an insect :)
> >
> > Now for my Samba problem. I want to share photos with other people
> > in my family who use Windows. They are all in the same workgroup.
> > The photos I want to share are on a separate disk to my Kubuntu
> > installation but are totally visible on my computer. The photos I
> > want to share have been copied to a folder called "public". All the
> > members of my family "see" my computer but are asked for a user name
> > and password. When trying all known user nams and passwords nothing
> > happens. They cannot see the folder I try to share.
> > I have tried endless configurations that I saw on the internet or in
> > youtube but nothing helps. Is there a howto to solve this problem
> > for me using Kubuntu. Most of the other suggestions are for Ubuntu.
> > By the way I can see shared files from the windows computers. They

Mike McGinn KD2CNU
Ex Uno Plurima
No electrons were harmed in sending this message, some were inconvenienced.
** Registered Linux User 377849

Errol Sapir 08-03-2012 02:28 PM

samba sharing

Hi Mike
Is there "formula" you use? I have tried to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf by
hand to no avail. I'd be happy to see you solution.

Errol

Leslie Anne Chatterton 08-03-2012 04:59 PM

samba sharing

Hi Mike,

This is good news, but it leaves me wondering if we are talking about the same expectations from Samba.

What I am hoping for is a true peer to peer experience. I would like to be able to share any file (and any printer) from any computer to all the rest. I would like to have a "sharing" password that can be given to others do I won't have to give out my personal password. As a long time net admin I can't break myself of the habit of keeping passwords entirely to myself.

Is this what you are able to do? I'm not a novice and I don't want any software to beat me. When I wrote my Windows 95 MS exam years ago I was told that I had obtained a very high mark and I don't see why I shouldn't become equally proficient in Kubuntu.

I do use Gadmin-samba but of give it up in a heartbeat if it odd messing things up!

Best wishes,

Leslie Anne

PS: I retired 10 years ago but have managed to keep up to date in every way but Samba.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Xoom running Jelly Bean