-   -   Round 3 theme and fedora-fr community (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-selinux-support/163418-round-3-theme-fedora-fr-community.html)

Luya Tshimbalanga 09-20-2008 08:31 PM

Round 3 theme and fedora-fr community

A poll was made following my posting[1] about the four theme that
qualified for Round 3 in fedora-fr (the forum lacked tool for poll).
You can view the result [2]. Use a translator as the posts are in French
language.

Luya

Máirín Duffy 09-22-2008 03:58 AM

Round 3 theme and fedora-fr community

Hi Luya,

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

A poll was made following my posting[1] about the four theme that
qualified for Round 3 in fedora-fr (the forum lacked tool for poll).
You can view the result [2]. Use a translator as the posts are in French
language.

Luya

Would you mind giving us a summary?

~m

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams 09-22-2008 06:24 AM

On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 23:58 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Luya,

I'm not Luya, but oh well.

> Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> > A poll was made following my posting[1] about the four theme that
> > qualified for Round 3 in fedora-fr (the forum lacked tool for poll).
> > You can view the result [2]. Use a translator as the posts are in French
> > language.
> >
> > Luya
>
> Would you mind giving us a summary?

Lots and lots and lots of people liked Solar. One person complained that
the blue in the star was too bright. (if anything it's not bright
enough, but that's a different story)

A significant proportion of people liked InvinXble, but not all felt
that a katana was appropriate for Fedora. And someone found the name
unpronounceable.

A few people liked Neon, but some thought that the colors were too
shocking.

A few people liked Gears, but some thought that it wasn't explored to
its fullest potential.

Luya Tshimbalanga 09-22-2008 07:06 AM

Máirín Duffy a écrit :
> Hi Luya,
>

> Would you mind giving us a summary?

Sure, here is summary of comments from fedora-fr for each theme:

About Solar:
- Sun to bright from one voter
- Effects that brought back the success of Flying High theme from Fedora 7
- the most favourite theme by far

About InvinXble
- Split between the choice to have a katana or not
- Some voters found the katana looks too much like the one from Kill
Bill movie
- Katana has too much presence
- Petal effects from flower impressed the voters

About Neon
- Too colourful
- Neon too big and too bright
- Colours too classic

About Gears:
- Not enough blue
- Retro style was disliked by most voters
- Stream Punk was highlighted for the vote

Some users would like to get ability to choose themes from round 3 not
selected by defaut(login, background, grub, etc) .

With a combined votes from both fedora-fr[1] and fedoraforum.org[2]
and excluding "none of them" choice:

Solar 67/135 49.6%
InvinXble 50/135 37.0%
Gears 10/135 7.4%
Neon 8/135 6.0%

[2] http://forums.fedoraforum.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=420

Luya

Luya Tshimbalanga 09-22-2008 07:26 AM

Round 3 theme and fedora-fr community

You beat me on that one. =)

Luya

Luca Foppiano 09-23-2008 10:04 AM

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 11:50 +0200, Samuele Storari wrote:
> sstorari *claimed* that he had remade the photo cos he had remade the
> photo. If u take a look in the source before write something u can see
> that the problem was solved creatin' the blade from 0. I think it's
> clear this sword is totally a patchwork of various level created. Just
> take a look to the level "Blade_White Copy" as u can see this piece
> was totally fake. Created by using the clone tool, in fact u see it's
> totally the same in every part. It was created by taken a first part
> from the photo and than manipuleted. As for other parts. The Hilt was
> totally reworked using dodge/burn tool and other "effect" of
> photomanipulation but u know they don't create new layer.
>
> So just a little question: If u can't do something, it means that it
> can't be done? Sorry, but I'm a lil sick to try to defend my work
> everyday and u wait til the last day to make a "new" question?

I completely agree! Sometime I don't understand which is the real goal:
find *the best* fedora theme or do whatever to try to denigrate the
others?

This is the point. And *is related to some issues and questions* about
Samuele work.

Luca
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 47th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3174

A celebrity is a person who is known for his well-knownness.

Nicu Buculei 09-23-2008 11:08 AM

Luca Foppiano wrote:

I completely agree! Sometime I don't understand which is the real goal:
find *the best* fedora theme or do whatever to try to denigrate the
others?

The real goal is to create a Free theme, using as much as possible Free
tools, by a team working in an open and collaborative process.

"Paul W. Frields" 09-23-2008 11:57 AM

Round 3 theme and fedora-fr community

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 11:50 +0200, Samuele Storari wrote:
> sstorari *claimed* that he had remade the photo cos he had remade the photo.
> If u take a look in the source before write something u can see that the problem was solved creatin' the blade from 0.
> I think it's clear this sword is totally a patchwork of various level created.
> Just take a look to the level "Blade_White Copy" as u can see this piece was totally fake.
> Created by using the clone tool, in fact u see it's totally the same in every part.
> It was created by taken a first part from the photo and than manipuleted.
> As for other parts.
> The Hilt was totally reworked using dodge/burn tool and other "effect" of photomanipulation but u know they don't create new layer.
>
> So just a little question: If u can't do something, it means that it can't be done?
> Sorry, but I'm a lil sick to try to defend my work everyday and u wait til the last day to make a "new" question?

Samuele, I'm a big fan of Quentin Tarantino, and collected some desktop
backgrounds when Kill Bill Vol. 1 was going to be released. One of the
backgrounds features a katana sword which looks to me to be identical to
the one in your source .XCF file:

http://img1.jurko.net/wall/paper/hattorihanzo_1280.jpg

When we talk about having an entirely free desktop theme, it means that
*all* the elements must be created from free sources. Is this sword
graphic -- the one used in the Kill Bill poster and apparently your
source -- available for free use, modification, and distribution? If it
is, there's absolutely no problem with the InvinXble theme. If it's not
then we can't use this theme for Fedora 10.

--
Paul W. Frields
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/

Máirín Duffy 09-23-2008 01:26 PM

Luca Foppiano wrote:

I completely agree! Sometime I don't understand which is the real goal:
find *the best* fedora theme or do whatever to try to denigrate the
others?

We have had egregious violations of copyright and image licensing in the
past, due to a misunderstanding of licensing and copyright law.

A big reason for the Fedora art team producing its own work is that we
can be confident that the artwork in Fedora is openly licensed and
freely distributable. When artwork that is not properly licensed is
thrown into Fedora, it not only goes against the guidelines of Fedora
but it entirely defeats the purpose of us creating our own artwork. Part
of the stated purpose of the art team is to create artwork that can be
freely re-usable. Artwork that incorporates other works that have a
restrictive license cannot meet this goal.

We are as strict on this license policy as any other team is strict on
code licensing. There is no special treatment here.

I certainly hope a theme with questionably-licensed imagery does not win
the vote. If it does, I will be up all night every night this week
re-making the artwork to make sure our artwork can be Free. I am sick
this week so a series of late nights will not be good for my health.

~m

"Paul W. Frields" 09-23-2008 01:36 PM

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 12:04 +0200, Luca Foppiano wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 11:50 +0200, Samuele Storari wrote:
> > sstorari *claimed* that he had remade the photo cos he had remade the
> > photo. If u take a look in the source before write something u can see
> > that the problem was solved creatin' the blade from 0. I think it's
> > clear this sword is totally a patchwork of various level created. Just
> > take a look to the level "Blade_White Copy" as u can see this piece
> > was totally fake. Created by using the clone tool, in fact u see it's
> > totally the same in every part. It was created by taken a first part
> > from the photo and than manipuleted. As for other parts. The Hilt was
> > totally reworked using dodge/burn tool and other "effect" of
> > photomanipulation but u know they don't create new layer.
> >
> > So just a little question: If u can't do something, it means that it
> > can't be done? Sorry, but I'm a lil sick to try to defend my work
> > everyday and u wait til the last day to make a "new" question?
>
> I completely agree! Sometime I don't understand which is the real goal:
> find *the best* fedora theme or do whatever to try to denigrate the
> others?
>
> This is the point. And *is related to some issues and questions* about
> Samuele work.

The Artwork team treats art in Fedora just like the developers and
packagers treat code. There is a simple solution to any problems with
the artwork in question -- Samuele, just replace any image that is not
freedom-licensed with one that is! :-)

It's absolutely OK to be inspired by something that's non-free. Using
non-free elements for examples for the first round (or two) is probably
even OK. But at this point in the cycle, you should have replaced any
non-free elements with free ones. If you do that, there is no reason
the theme can't be in Fedora. The only thing standing in the way is the
non-free element you're using.

Fedora is all about giving our users and contributors freedom -- freedom
to use, modify and redistribute, now and always. If we were to give
them artwork that doesn't have that level of freedom, we would be
putting a legal burden on them. That's not the right thing to do, and
it's not in the letter or spirit of how Fedora works. All we're asking
is that the contributors to our themes live by the same rules as
everyone else who contributes to Fedora.