Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Marco Mornati

Default Round 3 theme and fedora-fr community

Yes... I'm in agreement with you Máirín... we can't have a NO.Licenses
Image inside Fedora... that it's completely free!

My question is... why now? There are user voting also Invinxible
theme... and are all lost. There were a licensing doubt over that
theme... why it's in the final round?

Anyway... in my opinion there are many photo "creative commons" that
shown us the invinxible theme origin...

Bye
Marco

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 09:26 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Luca Foppiano wrote:
> > I completely agree! Sometime I don't understand which is the real goal:
> > find *the best* fedora theme or do whatever to try to denigrate the
> > others?
>
> We have had egregious violations of copyright and image licensing in the
> past, due to a misunderstanding of licensing and copyright law.
>
> A big reason for the Fedora art team producing its own work is that we
> can be confident that the artwork in Fedora is openly licensed and
> freely distributable. When artwork that is not properly licensed is
> thrown into Fedora, it not only goes against the guidelines of Fedora
> but it entirely defeats the purpose of us creating our own artwork. Part
> of the stated purpose of the art team is to create artwork that can be
> freely re-usable. Artwork that incorporates other works that have a
> restrictive license cannot meet this goal.
>
> We are as strict on this license policy as any other team is strict on
> code licensing. There is no special treatment here.
>
> I certainly hope a theme with questionably-licensed imagery does not win
> the vote. If it does, I will be up all night every night this week
> re-making the artwork to make sure our artwork can be Free. I am sick
> this week so a series of late nights will not be good for my health.
>
> ~m

Dott. Ing. Mornati Marco
Byte-Code s.r.l
via Antonio Cechov, 1
San Giuliano Milanese (MI)
E-Mail: mmornati@byte-code.com

Old 09-23-2008, 01:42 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 15:38 +0200, Marco Mornati wrote:
> Yes... I'm in agreement with you Máirín... we can't have a NO.Licenses
> Image inside Fedora... that it's completely free!
>
> My question is... why now? There are user voting also Invinxible
> theme... and are all lost. There were a licensing doubt over that
> theme... why it's in the final round?
>
> Anyway... in my opinion there are many photo "creative commons" that
> shown us the invinxible theme origin...

It wasn't until today that I found my picture of that Kill Bill desktop.
Let's keep in mind that it shouldn't require our Artwork team to dig up
all source artwork and compare it. We should be able to trust that all
contributions are respectful of the freedom that Fedora is about.

Furthermore, just because this artwork has a non-free element doesn't
mean it can't be fixed for final release. But it should be up to the
artist to do that. It would have been nice if that were finished by
Round 3, and hopefully we can add this to the process for the next
release. There could be a clause like "Remove all non-free elements or
inspiration by Round 3." That might make all the expectations clearer.

--
Paul W. Frields
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/

Old 09-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Máirín Duffy

Paul W. Frields wrote:

Using
non-free elements for examples for the first round (or two) is probably
even OK.

I don't think it should be, absolutely not if the artwork is going to be
uploaded to our wiki.

We have always said, if you are using artwork you did not create to make
a proposal, that's fine, but you need to get permission from the creators.

~m

Old 09-23-2008, 01:48 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 09:44 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Using
> > non-free elements for examples for the first round (or two) is probably
> > even OK.
>
> I don't think it should be, absolutely not if the artwork is going to be
> uploaded to our wiki.
>
> We have always said, if you are using artwork you did not create to make
> a proposal, that's fine, but you need to get permission from the creators.

Yes, you're right -- I was thinking too much about the "ideating" part
without remembering where the ideas get posted. If someone wanted to
host their own ideas somewhere *not* on our wiki, though, that would be
acceptable. Once the artwork lands on Fedora space, it should be
composed of all free elements.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Marco,

Marco Mornati wrote:

Yes... I'm in agreement with you Máirín... we can't have a NO.Licenses
Image inside Fedora... that it's completely free!

My question is... why now? There are user voting also Invinxible
theme... and are all lost. There were a licensing doubt over that
theme... why it's in the final round?

This is absolutely not last-minute. I brought up licensing concerns to
Samuele weeks ago on this very list and he assured me he was switching
any photos with bad licenses to other ones with good licenses. I am
really angry that I was misled.

Here is the thread from the archives:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-August/msg00326.html

That message was posted four weeks ago. It would have given Samuele
plenty of time to replace the imagery, which he said he was doing:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-August/msg00334.html

~m

Old 09-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Klaatu

I was frankly confused on what I was voting on, which is why I asked for clarification on this in the first place.* I did not want to vote on InvinXible as it was only to have a different sword in the final product.* I didn't mean to wait til the last minute, I jsut didn't understand why in the last moments, the final version of the art -- with the new sword -- had not yet been developed.

It wasn't an effort to pick on Samuele, it was just an effort to vote on something I felt comfortable and safe on voting for.

- klaatu

[...]

---
uzu linukso. subtenu libera programaro.
kotizu al http://www.thebadapples.info/ogg.xml
http://www.thebadapples.info/fedorareloaded/ogg.xml

Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Marco Mornati

Yes... maybe you are right. But I think that anyway theme could have
some mods also after vote. But it's true that, for example with
Invixible theme, if you decide to change the katana, maybe the result
couldn't be beautiful like current version.

Marco