Old 08-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Nickolas Gray

Default Bootable copy of an FC9 system.

I am attempting to create a bootable copy of a running SELinux box on
FC9. I think I am close but I am coming up with a kernel panic (text
at end) Here are the steps and a brief reason. If anyone has any
suggestions where I might have made a mistake or left something out a
comment would be appreciated. The only requirement so far is that it
has to be a disk to disk copy with no CD/DVD rescue involved.

The original looks like

mbr on boot sector
/dev/sda1 ext3 /boot
/dev/sda2 LVM

VolGroup00/LogVol00 is root
VolGroup00/LogVol01 is swap

This is what I am doing.

• This seemed like an efficient way to dup the filesystems of the
source to the target.

sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk /dev/sdb

•Duplicate the MBR
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=512k

•Copy the entire /boot from a to b
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=664 count=1

•Add the /dev/sdb2 to LVM
pvcreate /dev/sdb2

create the VolGroup for /
vgcreate -s 32m VolGroup01 /dev/sdb2

Create the logical volume for / and swap
lvcreate -l 1562 -n LogVol00 VolGroup01
lvcreate -l 62 -n LogVol01 VolGroup01

Create the swap area
mkswap /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol01

Format the / filesystem
mkfs -t ext3 /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00

Create the snapshot
lvcreate -L 20g -s -n snap /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

Mount the snapshot
mount /dev/VolGroup00/snap /snapshot

Mount the target
mount /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 /target

Rsync over the snapshot
rsync -vXxpr /snapshot/* /target

Unmount the snapshot
umount /snapshot

lvremove -f VolGroup00/snap

At this point I fixed the initrd, the fstab and grub.conf on the
target to point to VolGroup01 instead of VolGroup00.

I would think this should be it.

What I get is.

root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is .....
kerne /vmlinuz ......
Linux bzimage.....
initrd / initrd ....
Linux initrd

Decompresing Linux ... Done
Booting the kernel
Red Hat nash version 6,0,52 starting
Reading all physical volumes this make take awhile ....
Found volume group VolGroup01 now active
ERROR: exec of init (/sbin/init) failed failed!!!! No such file or
directory

ERROR: failed in exec of /bin/echo: No such file or directory
a couple messages about not finding /bin/sleep
Kernel Panic

I am not really sure where this is getting to. I thought it was
getting to the initrd but now I am not sure.

Thanks Nick

Old 09-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Nickolas Gray wrote:
> I am attempting to create a bootable copy of a running SELinux box on
> FC9. I think I am close but I am coming up with a kernel panic (text at
> end) Here are the steps and a brief reason. If anyone has any
> suggestions where I might have made a mistake or left something out a
> comment would be appreciated. The only requirement so far is that it has
> to be a disk to disk copy with no CD/DVD rescue involved.
>
> The original looks like
>
> mbr on boot sector
> /dev/sda1 ext3 /boot
> /dev/sda2 LVM
>
> VolGroup00/LogVol00 is root
> VolGroup00/LogVol01 is swap
>
> This is what I am doing.
>
> • This seemed like an efficient way to dup the filesystems of the source
> to the target.
> sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk /dev/sdb
>
> •Duplicate the MBR
> dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=512k
>
> •Copy the entire /boot from a to b
> dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=664 count=1
>
> •Add the /dev/sdb2 to LVM
> pvcreate /dev/sdb2
>
> create the VolGroup for /
> vgcreate -s 32m VolGroup01 /dev/sdb2
>
> Create the logical volume for / and swap
> lvcreate -l 1562 -n LogVol00 VolGroup01
> lvcreate -l 62 -n LogVol01 VolGroup01
>
> Create the swap area
> mkswap /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol01
>
> Format the / filesystem
> mkfs -t ext3 /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00
>
> Create the snapshot
> lvcreate -L 20g -s -n snap /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>
> Mount the snapshot
> mount /dev/VolGroup00/snap /snapshot
>
> Mount the target
> mount /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 /target
>
> Rsync over the snapshot
> rsync -vXxpr /snapshot/* /target
>
> Unmount the snapshot
> umount /snapshot
>
> lvremove -f VolGroup00/snap
>
> At this point I fixed the initrd, the fstab and grub.conf on the target
> to point to VolGroup01 instead of VolGroup00.
>
> I would think this should be it.
>
> What I get is.
>
> root (hd0,0)
> Filesystem type is .....
> kerne /vmlinuz ......
> Linux bzimage.....
> initrd / initrd ....
> Linux initrd
>

> Decompresing Linux ... Done
> Booting the kernel
> Red Hat nash version 6,0,52 starting
> Reading all physical volumes this make take awhile ....
> Found volume group VolGroup01 now active
> ERROR: exec of init (/sbin/init) failed failed!!!! No such file or
> directory
> ERROR: failed in exec of /bin/echo: No such file or directory
> a couple messages about not finding /bin/sleep
> Kernel Panic
>
> I am not really sure where this is getting to. I thought it was getting
> to the initrd but now I am not sure.
>
> Thanks Nick

Why do you think this is an SELinux issue? If you boot enforcing=0 does
it still blow up?