-   -   backups and selinux (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-selinux-support/128862-backups-selinux.html)

Steve Blackwell 07-21-2008 04:58 PM

backups and selinux

Are any of the common linux backup utilities, eg Amanda or
Backup-pc, selinux aware? Do they need to be?

In other words, if I backup a file with a particular set of selinux
attributes using one of these utilities, delete the file and then
restore it, will the restored file have the correct attributes?

I read somewhere on the selinux wiki that there was a special backup
utility required but I can't find that page again.

Thanks,
Steve

Rahul Sundaram 07-21-2008 05:49 PM

backups and selinux

Steve Blackwell wrote:

Are any of the common linux backup utilities, eg Amanda or
Backup-pc, selinux aware? Do they need to be?

In other words, if I backup a file with a particular set of selinux
attributes using one of these utilities, delete the file and then
restore it, will the restored file have the correct attributes?

I read somewhere on the selinux wiki that there was a special backup
utility required but I can't find that page again.

Tar previously didn't support extended attributes (xattr) so star was
needed but in newer version tar does so a special utility isn't
required. I am not sure if any of the regular backup utilities do
support xattr either.

Rahul