Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 AM
Murray McAllister

Default SELinux User Guide

Hi,

Apologies if this doubles up for anyone.

My name is Murray McAllister and I am working as a content author for
Red Hat. I have recently started a new project -- an SELinux User Guide
-- with Daniel Walsh, Michael Smith, and a few other people from Red Hat.

There are a few SELinux books, but these are very technical. We want to
create a guide that people with no previous SELinux experience can use,
to allow them to do what they want without turning SELinux off.

I have started a rough information plan that includes the current
schedule, information sources, and some ideas for the content that may
be included. The information plan is located at
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/SELinux_User_Guide/SELinux_Information_Plan>.
The main project page is located at
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/SELinux_User_Guide>.

Among other things, we are going to try to cover the following topics
from the current SELinux project documentation todo list
(http://selinuxproject.org/page/Documentation_TODO):

* "Explain how to interpret an AVC message and how to get additional
information via SYSCALL audit, including how to add a simple syscall
audit filter to enable collection of PATH information".

* Document Confined Users".
* "Update FC5 FAQ".
* "Document the use of the mount command for overriding file context".
* "Describe Audit2allow and how it can just Fix the machine".
* "Update and organize the Fedora SELinux FAQ".

If anyone has any ideas about what they would like to see in the guide,
or any corrections to the current topics we would like to include,
please let us know. As well, user feedback and comments can be left at
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/SELinux_User_Guide/SELinux_Feedback>.
A Fedora account (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/) is required
to use the Wiki - if you do not have one, please do not hesitate to mail
me directly, or respond to this thread.

Thanks for your time,

Murray.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Murray McAllister

Murray McAllister wrote:

[...]

If anyone is interested in the progress of this, I am going to send
weekly reports to <selinux@tycho.nsa.gov>. How to join and archives for
this list can be found at
<http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/info/list.cfm?MenuID=41.1.1.9>.

Thanks,

Murray.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:13 PM
John Dennis

Murray McAllister wrote:

If anyone has any ideas about what they would like to see in the guide

Yes, you should include a section on setroubleshoot.

--
John Dennis <jdennis@redhat.com>