Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Timothy Selivanow

Default Etiquette for contacting a package maintainer?

What is the proper etiquette for contacting a current package
maintainer? I'm working on a package that uses a current package as a
dependency, and I have some questions that need to be asked...

--Tim
/ Not only is UNIX dead, it's starting to smell really bad.
-- Rob Pike /

Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 15:43 -0700, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> What is the proper etiquette for contacting a current package
> maintainer? I'm working on a package that uses a current package as a
> dependency, and I have some questions that need to be asked...

Email them, and be polite?

~spot

Old 04-24-2008, 10:54 PM
seth vidal

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 18:50 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 15:43 -0700, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> > What is the proper etiquette for contacting a current package
> > maintainer? I'm working on a package that uses a current package as a
> > dependency, and I have some questions that need to be asked...
>
> Email them, and be polite?

What??! Without a formal 6-part introduction and etiquette session,
followed by tea ceremony and ritual beating?

Crazy! in this day an age just emailing someone!

What IS the world coming to?

-sv

Old 04-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Timothy Selivanow

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 18:50 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 15:43 -0700, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> > What is the proper etiquette for contacting a current package
> > maintainer? I'm working on a package that uses a current package as a
> > dependency, and I have some questions that need to be asked...
>
> Email them, and be polite?

If I don't /have/ their email address, I just use
${FASName}@fedoraproject.org? Part of the "etiquette" I think I was/am
needing is /how/ to get their email address...

--Tim
/ Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty sure to be a crime to
| examine the laws of heat. |
-- Christopher Morley /

Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 16:26 -0700, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 18:50 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 15:43 -0700, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> > > What is the proper etiquette for contacting a current package
> > > maintainer? I'm working on a package that uses a current package as a
> > > dependency, and I have some questions that need to be asked...
> >
> > Email them, and be polite?
>
> If I don't /have/ their email address, I just use
> ${FASName}@fedoraproject.org? Part of the "etiquette" I think I was/am
> needing is /how/ to get their email address...

Ah, yes. That should work for everyone.

~spot

Old 04-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Jesse Keating

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 19:58 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> > If I don't /have/ their email address, I just use
> > ${FASName}@fedoraproject.org? Part of the "etiquette" I think I was/am
> > needing is /how/ to get their email address...
>
> Ah, yes. That should work for everyone.

I would still like to at some point get <package>@fedoraproject.org
which would do a pkgdb lookup and mail all involved with said package.
Then all bugzilla ownerships can just go to <package>@fp.o etc, etc...

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Todd Zullinger

Jesse Keating wrote:
> I would still like to at some point get <package>@fedoraproject.org
> which would do a pkgdb lookup and mail all involved with said package.
> Then all bugzilla ownerships can just go to <package>@fp.o etc, etc...

This would be a very nice thing.

Of course, it would cut down on the fun that everyone who needs to
contact a number of maintainers has in adding code to grab the list of
{,co-}maintainers for each package.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:48 AM
seth vidal

> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 19:58 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > >
> > > If I don't /have/ their email address, I just use
> > > ${FASName}@fedoraproject.org? Part of the "etiquette" I think I was/am
> > > needing is /how/ to get their email address...
> >
> > Ah, yes. That should work for everyone.
>
> I would still like to at some point get <package>@fedoraproject.org
> which would do a pkgdb lookup and mail all involved with said package.
> Then all bugzilla ownerships can just go to <package>@fp.o etc, etc...

umm - not sure that'll work.

it would mean a namespace conflict b/t people whose username is 'yum'
and the package.

probably best to have packagename@packages.fedoraproject.org

-sv

Old 04-25-2008, 01:50 AM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 21:48 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> it would mean a namespace conflict b/t people whose username is 'yum'
> and the package.
>
> probably best to have packagename@packages.fedoraproject.org

Yep. Seems like a good idea.

~spot

Old 04-25-2008, 02:19 AM
Bill Nottingham

Tom spot Callaway (tcallawa@redhat.com) said:
> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 21:48 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > it would mean a namespace conflict b/t people whose username is 'yum'
> > and the package.
> >
> > probably best to have packagename@packages.fedoraproject.org
>
> Yep. Seems like a good idea.

Or <pkg>-owner/<pkg>-maintainers. Something unlikely to have
a username collision.

Bill