-   -   APT,YUM and package status (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-packaging/709469-apt-yum-package-status.html)

Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh 10-04-2012 01:17 AM

APT,YUM and package status

Dear all,

Recently, i'm writing a benchmark between APT and YUM, by default i
didn't know yum and know apt, i didn't find the following status in the
yum:
//////////////////////////////////////
PACKAGE STATES
not-installed
The package is not installed on your system.

config-files
Only the configuration files of the package exist on the
system.

half-installed
The installation of the package has been started, but not
completed for some reason.

unpacked
The package is unpacked, but not configured.

half-configured
The package is unpacked and configuration has been
started, but not yet completed for some reason.

triggers-awaited
The package awaits trigger processing by another package.

triggers-pending
The package has been triggered.

installed
The package is unpacked and configured OK.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Where can i find above feature or yum doesn't has them?

--mohsen

Christopher Meng 10-04-2012 02:40 AM

APT,YUM and package status

installed feature I think it's already existed.

"yum list installed"

--

Yours sincerely,
Christopher Meng

Ambassador/Contributor of Fedora Project and many others.

http://cicku.me
http://mirrors.cicku.me

Matthew Miller 10-04-2012 03:13 AM

APT,YUM and package status

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 04:47:29AM +0330, Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh wrote:
> not-installed
> The package is not installed on your system.

`yum list` will show this. There are a number of options which you can find
in the man pages.

> config-files
> Only the configuration files of the package exist on the
> system.
> half-installed
> The installation of the package has been started, but not
> completed for some reason.

These don't exist because of differences between the underlying rpm and dpkg
systems. You can tell if files are missing from a package with the yum
verify plugin (install package yum-plugin-verify, and then look at the man
page for yum-verify).

> unpacked
> The package is unpacked, but not configured.
> half-configured
> The package is unpacked and configuration has been
> started, but not yet completed for some reason.

These concepts don't really exist in RPM.

> triggers-awaited
> The package awaits trigger processing by another package.
> triggers-pending
> The package has been triggered.

RPM does have triggers, but it's rather esoteric. I don't think there are
any yum plugins that expose this, but you can look more under the hood with
`rpm -q packagename triggers`.

--
Matthew Miller ☁☁☁ Fedora Cloud Architect ☁☁☁ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh 10-06-2012 05:40 AM

APT,YUM and package status

Dear Matthew and Christopher,

At first, sorrry for late, and thank you for your reply and your
attention.
In Debian systems:
Directory /var/lib/apt/ keeps cache of repos, then users can search
offline with apt-cache search blahblah , What's this scenario in yum
system? and Where the given directory ?

--mohsen

Rex Dieter 10-06-2012 11:54 AM

APT,YUM and package status

At first, sorrry for late, and thank you for your reply and your
attention.
In Debian systems:
Directory /var/lib/apt/ keeps cache of repos, then users can search
offline with apt-cache search blahblah , What's this scenario in yum
system? and Where the given directory ?

/var/cache/yum

Use
yum -C
or
yum --cacheonly

-- rex

Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh 10-08-2012 11:45 PM

APT,YUM and package status

Dear all,

I have more question on comparison of YUM and APT:
1) in apt systems, /var/lib/dpkg/status exists and keeps information
about installed packages such as marked as remove and etc, what's its
equivalent in yum systems?
2) in apt systems, /var/cache/apt/archives keeps *deb files as
temporarily, What's its equivalent in yum systems?
3) apt-cache command search on local cache about a package such as
'apt-cache search MY_PACKAGE', now can i do it with yum systems? if true
which command?
4) apt-get has -f (--fixed-broken), yum does has it? such as 'apt-get -f
install' ? when you use 'apt-get -f install' or 'apt-get -f
dist-upgrade' APT system resolve installed packages and solve any
problem.
5) in apt systems at first we use 'apt-get update' to download
information of packages.Then they are cached in /var/lib/apt/lists/ ,
What's equivalent of apt-get update and /var/lib/apt/lists/ ?
6) We use 'apt-cdrom add' to add cdrom repo to my machine, What's its
equivalent in yum?
7) --purge and -e is different in dpkg or apt-get purge or apt-get
reomve, Do you have same concept in yum?(remove doesn't remove
information in status file, but purge remove them)
8) we have apt-file command that it search on repo and get a file as arg
and returns package names that arg exist in them.Do you have in yum?
9) /var/lib/dpkg/available : list of installed packages.

--thank you,
Mohsen

George Machitidze 10-09-2012 12:35 AM

APT,YUM and package status

Hi
I don't think this is right place, the best you can do is check rpm docs at rpm.org (very extensive docs a and books)If you want to be a packager - you have to check Fedora packaging guidelines:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines
But I'll answer you anyway:
At first, you have to understand and separate backend and frontend:

rpm, dpkg - package manager backends and libraries for operating on DB populated with current situation, not the reposyum, apt - package manager frontends with databases related to repository and upgrade operations

Do not confuse yum/apt with rpm/dpkg.
RPM is using sqlite database populated in /var/lib/rpm/, you should never operate on it directly. rpm, rpm libraries and yum utilities provide interface for you to manage packages, there is no reason to touch DB manually.

1) RPM doesn't use plaintext database2)*/var/cache/yum/3) yum search MY_PACKAGE (will update cache), or*yum search -C MY_PACKAGE (run entirely from system cache, don't update cache)

4) --skip-broken skips broken packages, dependencies are always solved automatically5) yum update, usually cache is always update, unless -C is specified. /var/lib/yum, /var/cache/yum6) yum doesn't operate on it's own configuration files, yum will need to create repo file in /etc/yum/repos.d as xxx.repo like:

[somerepo]name=cdrom filesbaseurl=file:///mnt/cdrom

7) Doesn't need it actually, this is handled by rpm backend. rpm leaves any changed (checked with md5) configuration files with .rpmsave filename extension. rpm knows which files are configuration files.

8)*yum whatprovides "/path/file"9) rpm -qaBest regards,
George Machitidze

George Machitidze 10-09-2012 12:39 AM

APT,YUM and package status

p.s. sorry for this "I don't think this is right place" - I've mixed up mailing lists, ask anything :))

Best regards,
George Machitidze

Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh 10-09-2012 12:52 AM

APT,YUM and package status

Dear George,

Very very thank you...

--mohsen