Old 10-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default mp3 source (but not compiled) in squeak package

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 20:25:31 +0200,
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:

IMO, it's leading nowhere if you're reading inbetween the lines. I fail
to see why we would ship something "heavily patented".

One might think that using pristine sources in the source rpm is better
than using one with the patented code stripped out. And it isn't clear the
patents are violated if the code is shipped in an srpm, but is not in the
binaries we ship.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 14:39:41 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> >IMO, it's leading nowhere if you're reading inbetween the lines. I fail
> >to see why we would ship something "heavily patented".
>
> One might think that using pristine sources in the source rpm is better
> than using one with the patented code stripped out.

Why "better"? Stripped source code cannot be compiled accidentally.
That would be something for the lawyers. Imagine a repo contained an
audio application that supported MP3 for several weeks.

> And it isn't clear the
> patents are violated if the code is shipped in an srpm, but is not in the
> binaries we ship.

Can't tell. Related to MP3 is a longer list of patents, and "free" MP3
encoders - afaik - haven't been targeted by patent holders.

Removing legally problematic source code goes back to the Red Hat Linux era,
some time around 8.0 or so. That is, Red Hat has done it. 3rd party
contributors to Red Hat Linux (such as old Fedora) have continued doing so.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 22:26:42 +0200,
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 14:39:41 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>IMO, it's leading nowhere if you're reading inbetween the lines. I fail
>to see why we would ship something "heavily patented".

One might think that using pristine sources in the source rpm is better
than using one with the patented code stripped out.

Why "better"? Stripped source code cannot be compiled accidentally.
That would be something for the lawyers. Imagine a repo contained an
audio application that supported MP3 for several weeks.

Easier for downstream to check against upstream to see that it matches.
the packager doesn't need to create stripped down archives.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 15:28:24 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> >> One might think that using pristine sources in the source rpm is better
> >> than using one with the patented code stripped out.
> >
> >Why "better"? Stripped source code cannot be compiled accidentally.
> >That would be something for the lawyers. Imagine a repo contained an
> >audio application that supported MP3 for several weeks.
>
> Easier for downstream to check against upstream to see that it matches.
> the packager doesn't need to create stripped down archives.

Hmm, that's more of a matter of convenience or laziness (as it may be
non-trivial to remove a component from a build framework).
How many downstreams perform checks of sources? (also don't forget
snapshot checkouts)
There are not many upstream projects who offer detached signatures
for their source archives, so that's seldomly an issue.