Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Shakthi Kannan

Default Using upstream unusual package name

Hi,

If an upstream package uses an unusual name, such as brainf*ck, is it
okay to use the same for a Fedora package name?

Please let me know.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 AM
"Truong Anh. Tuan"

> If an upstream package uses an unusual name, such as brainf*ck, is it
> okay to use the same for a Fedora package name?

Hi Shakthi,

Please read Naming Guidelines [1] carefully.
As you see, "star" (*) character is not allowed in Fedora package name.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Common_Character_Set_fo r_Package_Naming

Kind regards,
Tuan

Old 09-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Shakthi Kannan

Hi,

--- On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Truong Anh. Tuan
<tuanta@iwayvietnam.com> wrote:
| Please read Naming Guidelines [1] carefully.
| As you see, "star" (*) character is not allowed in Fedora package name.
--

I had referred to:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/brainfuck

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:42:23PM +0530, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> --- On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Truong Anh. Tuan
> <tuanta@iwayvietnam.com> wrote:
> | Please read Naming Guidelines [1] carefully.
> | As you see, "star" (*) character is not allowed in Fedora package name.
> --
>
> I had referred to:
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/brainfuck

Ah... so you're actually refering to the obscenity in the package name?
That's a good question. We generally want to keep things "family friendly"
but in this case both the program and the programming language it implements
have that name. I'd lean towards allowing it but you might want to open
a ticket here and the full FPC can consider it:

https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/newticket

(You'll need to log in to open the ticket. We meet on Wednesdays so if you
can open it ASAp we'll be able to look at it then.)

-Toshio

Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Shakthi Kannan

Hi Toshio,

--

Right.

---
| you might want to open
| a ticket here and the full FPC can consider it:
|
| https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/newticket
--

I have a filed a new ticket (#212) for review. Thanks for your prompt response.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Ralf Corsepius

On 09/25/2012 09:30 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:42:23PM +0530, Shakthi Kannan wrote:

Hi,

--- On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Truong Anh. Tuan
<tuanta@iwayvietnam.com> wrote:
| Please read Naming Guidelines [1] carefully.
| As you see, "star" (*) character is not allowed in Fedora package name.
--

I had referred to:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/brainfuck

Ah... so you're actually refering to the obscenity in the package name?
That's a good question. We generally want to keep things "family friendly"
but in this case both the program and the programming language it implements
have that name. I'd lean towards allowing it but you might want to open
a ticket here and the full FPC can consider it:

So do I. It's how its parents have named their child. We may like it or
not, nevertheless, Fedora should react as grown-ups and respect their
choice, unless the name would be illegal in juristictions applicable to
Fedora.

That said, I can only guess on the reasons for their choice, probably
they haven't quite quit puberty and "find it cool" or they mean their
choice as some sort of provocation/attention-teaser.

The later would mean, if Fedora is taking special means, Fedora went
into the trap they set up. - IMO, they should be treated with the amount
of attention they deserve: An arbitrary package amongst 1000s of others

Ralf