Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 PM
"Germán A. Racca"

Default version-release for different branches

Hi list,

I have the following situation. I have a package whose version-release
in f17/16 is 0.1.14-2, but in f18/master branches it is 0.1.14-3
(because of a f18 mass rebuild). Suppose I'm going to update the spec
file, so in f18/master branches the new version-release will be
0.1.14-4, and for f17/16 branches if I "git merge master", then the
release will jump from 2 to 4. Is this ok? Or should I keep working with
different releases for different branches and forget about "git merge
master" in lower branches?

All the best,
Germán.

--
Germán A. Racca
Fedora Package Maintainer

Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Jon Ciesla

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM, "Germán A. Racca"
<german.racca@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have the following situation. I have a package whose version-release in
> f17/16 is 0.1.14-2, but in f18/master branches it is 0.1.14-3 (because of a
> f18 mass rebuild). Suppose I'm going to update the spec file, so in
> f18/master branches the new version-release will be 0.1.14-4, and for f17/16
> branches if I "git merge master", then the release will jump from 2 to 4. Is
> this ok? Or should I keep working with different releases for different
> branches and forget about "git merge master" in lower branches?

In f18, you would git merge master. In f17, git merge f18. In f16,
git merge f17. But jumping from 2 to 4 is fine, too.

-J

http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/

Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 PM
"Germán A. Racca"

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM, "Germán A. Racca"
I have the following situation. I have a package whose version-release in
f17/16 is 0.1.14-2, but in f18/master branches it is 0.1.14-3 (because of a
f18 mass rebuild). Suppose I'm going to update the spec file, so in
f18/master branches the new version-release will be 0.1.14-4, and for f17/16
branches if I "git merge master", then the release will jump from 2 to 4. Is
this ok? Or should I keep working with different releases for different
branches and forget about "git merge master" in lower branches?

Thanks Jon for your quick answer.

In f18, you would git merge master. In f17, git merge f18. In f16,
git merge f17. But jumping from 2 to 4 is fine, too.

This way of doing git merge from a previous branch to the actual one
implies modifying the spec file in f18/master branches to change version
from 3 to 4, and in f17/16 branches to change version from 2 to 3, right?

OTOH, if I choose to jump from 2 to 4 in f17/16 branches, I only need to
edit spec file in master branch, bump the spec file to 4, and then only
git merge master in the lower branches, right?

Germán.

-J

All the best,
Germán.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Stanislav Ochotnicky

Quoting Germán A. Racca (2012-09-11 17:03:51)
> Hi list,
>
> I have the following situation. I have a package whose version-release
> in f17/16 is 0.1.14-2, but in f18/master branches it is 0.1.14-3
> (because of a f18 mass rebuild). Suppose I'm going to update the spec
> file, so in f18/master branches the new version-release will be
> 0.1.14-4, and for f17/16 branches if I "git merge master", then the
> release will jump from 2 to 4. Is this ok? Or should I keep working with
> different releases for different branches and forget about "git merge
> master" in lower branches?

git merge master is the best (IMO) approach here. It will mean you will
clearly have the same spec file in all supported releases (same git
hash since it will be fast-forward merge).

What some people don't like is that F16/17 git history will contain
mention of F18 mass rebuild, but that is (again IMO) a very minor
"issue".

PGP: 7B087241
Red Hat Inc. http://cz.redhat.com

Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Jon Ciesla

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM, "Germán A. Racca"
<german.racca@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/11/2012 12:13 PM, Jon Ciesla wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM, "Germán A. Racca"
>> <german.racca@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I have the following situation. I have a package whose version-release in
>>> f17/16 is 0.1.14-2, but in f18/master branches it is 0.1.14-3 (because of
>>> f18 mass rebuild). Suppose I'm going to update the spec file, so in
>>> f18/master branches the new version-release will be 0.1.14-4, and for
>>> f17/16
>>> branches if I "git merge master", then the release will jump from 2 to 4.
>>> Is
>>> this ok? Or should I keep working with different releases for different
>>> branches and forget about "git merge master" in lower branches?
>

> Thanks Jon for your quick answer.

NP.

>> In f18, you would git merge master. In f17, git merge f18. In f16,
>> git merge f17. But jumping from 2 to 4 is fine, too.
>

> This way of doing git merge from a previous branch to the actual one implies
> modifying the spec file in f18/master branches to change version from 3 to
> 4, and in f17/16 branches to change version from 2 to 3, right?

Yes.