Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Andy Grimm

Default packaging an axis2-based service

Hi, all. As part of my work packaging Eucalyptus, I need to decide
where to put the "repositories" for a couple of axis2-based services.
Each service runs an apache instance on a special port with a custom
configuration that points to an axis2 repo path. The repo directory
contains an xml config and a few directories:

* lib -- this is just a symlink to the directory where the axis2
shared libraries live (i.e., /usr/lib64)
* modules -- this contains symlinks to axis2 modules which are needed
for this service
* services -- this contains individual web services, each of which
generally consists of a wsdl, an xml config file, and an ELF shared
object

lib and modules aren't a problem, because they just contain symlinks
to files already owned by wso2-axis2 an related packages. My question
is about the "services" directory. Where should it live? The only
precedent in Fedora is condor-aviary, which places the repository
structure in /var/lib/condor/aviary/. This means that there are .so
files living in /var/lib. Is that acceptable? Or should they live
somewhere under %{_libdir} and be symlinked ?

Thanks.

Andy

Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 06:19:21PM -0400, Andy Grimm wrote:
> Hi, all. As part of my work packaging Eucalyptus, I need to decide
> where to put the "repositories" for a couple of axis2-based services.
> Each service runs an apache instance on a special port with a custom
> configuration that points to an axis2 repo path. The repo directory
> contains an xml config and a few directories:
>
> * lib -- this is just a symlink to the directory where the axis2
> shared libraries live (i.e., /usr/lib64)
> * modules -- this contains symlinks to axis2 modules which are needed
> for this service
> * services -- this contains individual web services, each of which
> generally consists of a wsdl, an xml config file, and an ELF shared
> object
>
> lib and modules aren't a problem, because they just contain symlinks
> to files already owned by wso2-axis2 an related packages. My question
> is about the "services" directory. Where should it live? The only
> precedent in Fedora is condor-aviary, which places the repository
> structure in /var/lib/condor/aviary/. This means that there are .so
> files living in /var/lib. Is that acceptable? Or should they live
> somewhere under %{_libdir} and be symlinked ?

/var is for things that need to be changable at runtime. From the sounds of
it, this data is not changable at runtime. You mention ELF so it's also
arch specific. Combined, it sounds like somewhere under %{_libdir} is
appropriate here. Not sure if %{_libdir}/$SERVICE or
%{_libdir}/axis2/$SERVICE would be more appropriate.

-Toshio

Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Andy Grimm

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 06:19:21PM -0400, Andy Grimm wrote:
>> Hi, all. As part of my work packaging Eucalyptus, I need to decide
>> where to put the "repositories" for a couple of axis2-based services.
>> Each service runs an apache instance on a special port with a custom
>> configuration that points to an axis2 repo path. The repo directory
>> contains an xml config and a few directories:
>>
>> * lib -- this is just a symlink to the directory where the axis2
>> shared libraries live (i.e., /usr/lib64)
>> * modules -- this contains symlinks to axis2 modules which are needed
>> for this service
>> * services -- this contains individual web services, each of which
>> generally consists of a wsdl, an xml config file, and an ELF shared
>> object
>>
>> lib and modules aren't a problem, because they just contain symlinks
>> to files already owned by wso2-axis2 an related packages. My question
>> is about the "services" directory. Where should it live? The only
>> precedent in Fedora is condor-aviary, which places the repository
>> structure in /var/lib/condor/aviary/. This means that there are .so
>> files living in /var/lib. Is that acceptable? Or should they live
>> somewhere under %{_libdir} and be symlinked ?
>
> /var is for things that need to be changable at runtime. From the sounds of
> it, this data is not changable at runtime. You mention ELF so it's also
> arch specific. Combined, it sounds like somewhere under %{_libdir} is
> appropriate here. Not sure if %{_libdir}/$SERVICE or
> %{_libdir}/axis2/$SERVICE would be more appropriate.

Yep, agreed that /var doesn't seem like the right place. I only
mentioned it due to the precedent from condor.

Currently wso2-axis2 does store its modules directory in
%{_libdir}/wso2-axis2 ... but nothing owns that directory (I'll file
an issue for that). So, either underneath that or in a separate
directory under %{_libdir} is okay with me. Does anyone else have an
opinion on this?

Thanks.

Andy

Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 07:20:39PM -0400, Andy Grimm wrote:

> Currently wso2-axis2 does store its modules directory in
> %{_libdir}/wso2-axis2 ... but nothing owns that directory (I'll file
> an issue for that). So, either underneath that or in a separate
> directory under %{_libdir} is okay with me. Does anyone else have an
> opinion on this?

Personal preference would be %{_libdir}/wso2-axis2 to keep %{_libdir} itself
somewhat cleaner.

-Toshio

Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Andy Grimm

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 07:20:39PM -0400, Andy Grimm wrote:
>>
>> Currently wso2-axis2 does store its modules directory in
>> %{_libdir}/wso2-axis2 ... but nothing owns that directory (I'll file
>> an issue for that). So, either underneath that or in a separate
>> directory under %{_libdir} is okay with me. Does anyone else have an
>> opinion on this?
>>
> Personal preference would be %{_libdir}/wso2-axis2 to keep %{_libdir} itself
> somewhat cleaner.

Right, if I didn't use %{_libdir}/wso2-axis2, the other option would
really be to put a directory per service under %{_libdir}/eucalyptus;
I wouldn't put them directly in %{_libdir}.

Andy