-   -   Contributing to a checkinstall package for Fedora releases (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-packaging/692959-contributing-checkinstall-package-fedora-releases.html)

Declan McGrath 08-11-2012 02:03 PM

Contributing to a checkinstall package for Fedora releases

That's J,
If I get the chance, I will start with the upstream and compare it with the github fork so that it is as clean as possible.
Thanks for the quick reply,Dec

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:

DM> Can I ask is there a reason that there is no checkinstall package is

DM> available for Fedora 17?

Nobody has submitted it yet? *Fedora is a community-driven project;

things get into the distribution because someone does the work. *And

from a quick search, checkinstall has been tough to get working with

various different Fedora releases over time, so it does appear that a

good bit of work is involved.

Of course, checkinstall itself doesn't make packages which are

acceptable for Fedora, but don't let that stop you from packaging it.

Do, however, be careful when packaging random github forks. *It is

generally better to start from the pristine upstream sources and patch

them as necessary.

*- J<