Old 08-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Declan McGrath

Default Contributing to a checkinstall package for Fedora releases

Hi all,
I'm new to this list - and have very little package building experience. I joined because I noticed that there is no checkinstall package for Fedora 17 - so I would like to contribute one. Can I ask is there a reason that there is no checkinstall package is available for Fedora 17? Just want to know so that I don't waste my time doing this only to realise there is a reason not to.

I could not*compile*checkinstall from the source code on the checkinstall site (http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/index.php) but I managed to*compile*it fine using*https://github.com/sevenjay/checkinstall

I would plan to take https://github.com/sevenjay/checkinstall (or something similar) and use that as the basis for creating the checkinstall package.

So why is there no checkinstall package, guys?
Ciao,Dec

Old 08-11-2012, 01:29 PM
"Jason L Tibbitts III"

DM> Can I ask is there a reason that there is no checkinstall package is
DM> available for Fedora 17?

Nobody has submitted it yet? Fedora is a community-driven project;
things get into the distribution because someone does the work. And
from a quick search, checkinstall has been tough to get working with
various different Fedora releases over time, so it does appear that a
good bit of work is involved.

Of course, checkinstall itself doesn't make packages which are
acceptable for Fedora, but don't let that stop you from packaging it.
Do, however, be careful when packaging random github forks. It is
generally better to start from the pristine upstream sources and patch
them as necessary.

- J<