-   -   refuse an upgrade? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-packaging/687078-refuse-upgrade.html)

Paul Wouters 07-24-2012 09:23 PM

refuse an upgrade?

Hi,

Is there an accepted/allowed method for refusing an upgrade in %pre ?

Say there is a package foo for which we only released version 2.x. An
upgrade from 1.x to 2.x would not work due to database migration issues.
A third party ships 1.x versions. I would like our 2.x package to refuse
to do an upgrade from an 1.x package.

Rex Dieter 07-24-2012 10:43 PM

refuse an upgrade?

Is there an accepted/allowed method for refusing an upgrade in %pre ?

No (imo), by the time the rpm transaction is started, that's too late.

In cases where upgrades are incompatible, change the pkg name (again,
imo, ymmv, yada yada).

-- rex

Paul Wouters 07-25-2012 02:19 PM

refuse an upgrade?

On 07/24/2012 06:43 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 07/24/2012 04:23 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there an accepted/allowed method for refusing an upgrade in %pre ?
>
> No (imo), by the time the rpm transaction is started, that's too late.
>
> In cases where upgrades are incompatible, change the pkg name (again,
> imo, ymmv, yada yada).

That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

Paul