-   -   Distributing prebuilt bios roms with QEMU (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-packaging/687017-distributing-prebuilt-bios-roms-qemu.html)

Cole Robinson 07-24-2012 07:10 PM

Distributing prebuilt bios roms with QEMU

Hi all,

QEMU release tarballs contain a handful of prebuilt roms that enable various
features and emulation targets. We currently don't package any of these roms.

For things like seabios, sgabios, vgabios, and ipxe, we can chuck out the
prebuilt data and depend on natively built Fedora packages. However a handful
of the roms require building on non-x86 (ppc, sparc32/64, s390). Being able to
package the prebuilt roms would enable us to distribute working
qemu-system-{ppc*,sparc*,s390*}

Does this sound reasonable, and if so, what's the process for getting this
approved? I'm looking at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#No_inclusion_of_pre-built_binaries_or_libraries
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Binary_Firmware

And it sounds like this is a reasonable case for exception, but just want to
confirm. Here's all the details I can gather about the roms:

/usr/share/qemu/openbios-ppc
/usr/share/qemu/openbios-sparc32
/usr/share/qemu/openbios-sparc64
Usage : Needed for emulation of certain machines for those architectures.
Source : http://git.qemu.org/openbios.git
License : GPLv2 http://git.qemu.org/?p=openbios.git;a=blob;f=COPYING

/usr/share/qemu/slof.bin
Usage : Needed for PPC pSeries emulation
Source : http://git.qemu.org/SLOF.git
License : BSD http://git.qemu.org/?p=SLOF.git;a=blob;f=LICENSE

/usr/share/qemu/palcode-clipper
Usage : Needed for s390 emulation
Source : http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu-palcode.git
License : GPLv2 http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu-palcode.git/blob/HEAD:/COPYING

/usr/share/qemu/s390-zipl.rom
Usage : Needed for s390 emulation
Source : http://repo.or.cz/w/s390-tools.git
License : GPl http://repo.or.cz/w/s390-tools.git/blob/HEAD:/LICENSE

/usr/share/qemu/ppc_rom.bin
Usage : Needed for PPC PREP emulation
Source : https://github.com/tycho/openhackware
License : GPLv2 https://github.com/tycho/openhackware/blob/master/COPYING

And some compiled device trees. Maybe these just count as program data though?

/usr/share/qemu/bamboo.dtb
Usage : Needed for PPC bamboo machine.
Source :
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=arch/powerpc/boot/dts/bamboo.dts
License : GPLv2

/usr/share/qemu/petalogix-ml605.dtb
/usr/share/qemu/petalogix-s3adsp1800.dtb
Usage : Needed for microblaze emulation
Source : Hmm, actually I can't seem to find any canonical source :(

Thanks,
Cole

Tom Callaway 07-24-2012 07:26 PM

On 07/24/2012 03:10 PM, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> QEMU release tarballs contain a handful of prebuilt roms that enable various
> features and emulation targets. We currently don't package any of these roms.
>
> For things like seabios, sgabios, vgabios, and ipxe, we can chuck out the
> prebuilt data and depend on natively built Fedora packages. However a handful
> of the roms require building on non-x86 (ppc, sparc32/64, s390). Being able to
> package the prebuilt roms would enable us to distribute working
> qemu-system-{ppc*,sparc*,s390*}
>
> Does this sound reasonable, and if so, what's the process for getting this
> approved? I'm looking at:

I really do wish we could come up with a clever way to build these on
the native platforms, but I also understand how difficult that is, and I
really don't want to stonewall on that.

Perhaps this merits a specific exception. How about something like this:

=== QEMU ROMS ===
Whenever possible, ROMS implementing BIOS or Firmware for QEMU system
targets must be built from source on the intended architecture. However,
in many situations, this is not practical or possible. As a special
exception, prebuilt binary ROMS implementing BIOS or Firmware for QEMU
system targets may be included in Fedora Packages, as long as the
corresponding source code is also included in the Source RPM package.

Thoughts?

> /usr/share/qemu/petalogix-ml605.dtb
> /usr/share/qemu/petalogix-s3adsp1800.dtb
> Usage : Needed for microblaze emulation
> Source : Hmm, actually I can't seem to find any canonical source :(

This one seems more troublesome than the others, but since .dtb files
seem to be just device trees without any real "code", we can safely
treat them as content.

~tom

==
Fedora Project