Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Adrian Alves

Default what do u think about package this owncloud

http://owncloud.org/

Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Rex Dieter

On 05/23/2012 08:58 AM, Adrian Alves wrote:

http://owncloud.org/

Brave souls have looked it it in the past, and concluded it would be a
lot of work address all the bundled software included...

That said, kudos to anyone who picks up the torch and runs with it.

-- rex

Old 05-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 7:01 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:
> On 05/23/2012 08:58 AM, Adrian Alves wrote:
>>
>> http://owncloud.org/
>

> Brave souls have looked it it in the past, and concluded it would be a lot
> of work address all the bundled software included...
>
> That said, kudos to anyone who picks up the torch and runs with it.

Bingo. I'm sure if you brought it up on the cloud sig mailing list [1]
that you might get some further information (or encouragement or
help).

-robyn

Old 05-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Marc Deop i Argemí

On Wednesday 23 May 2012 09:01:40 Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 05/23/2012 08:58 AM, Adrian Alves wrote:
> > http://owncloud.org/
>
> Brave souls have looked it it in the past, and concluded it would be a
> lot of work address all the bundled software included...

Excuse my ignorance but... If it's all bundled... why is it so difficult to package?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Rex Dieter

On 05/23/2012 09:29 AM, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:

On Wednesday 23 May 2012 09:01:40 Rex Dieter wrote:

On 05/23/2012 08:58 AM, Adrian Alves wrote:

http://owncloud.org/

Brave souls have looked it it in the past, and concluded it would be a
lot of work address all the bundled software included...

Excuse my ignorance but... If it's all bundled... why is it so difficult to package?

bundling libraries are strongly discouraged by policy:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Treatment_Of_Bundled_Libraries
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries

-- rex

Old 05-23-2012, 02:35 PM
zxq9

On 05/23/2012 11:31 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:

On 05/23/2012 04:29 PM, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:

On Wednesday 23 May 2012 09:01:40 Rex Dieter wrote:

On 05/23/2012 08:58 AM, Adrian Alves wrote:

http://owncloud.org/

Brave souls have looked it it in the past, and concluded it would be a
lot of work address all the bundled software included...

Excuse my ignorance but... If it's all bundled... why is it so
difficult to package?

Its forbidden. See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries

Easy to package once, just today; an impossible, infectious, highly
virulent waking maintenance nightmare later.

One of the primary reasons promising repos and distros often go under.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Marc Deop i Argemí

On Wednesday 23 May 2012 09:32:54 Rex Dieter wrote:
> bundling libraries are strongly discouraged by policy:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Treatment_Of_Bundled_Libraries
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries

Thanks Brendan and Rex for the quick responses and clarifications