Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Christopher Howard

Default packaging a library

Hey guys, I'm guessing that packaging a library must be a somewhat
different process than packaging other software (because a library and a
devel package must be produced), but I am not clear on what those
differences are. I.e, what special information does the SPEC file
require? Are the rpmbuild commands any different?

I'd be glad to be pointed to the correct documentation. There didn't
seem to be a section covering this in the Fedora RPM guide.

--
frigidcode.com
indicium.us

Old 05-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Ankur Sinha

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 09:36 -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm guessing that packaging a library must be a somewhat
> different process than packaging other software (because a library and
> devel package must be produced), but I am not clear on what those
> differences are. I.e, what special information does the SPEC file
> require? Are the rpmbuild commands any different?
>
> I'd be glad to be pointed to the correct documentation. There didn't
> seem to be a section covering this in the Fedora RPM guide.

Hi Christopher,

The process is mostly the same. The only difference is that you need to
create a devel subpackage and ensure that you place the files in the
correct places and packages/subpackages. Here's a little more that you
need to do[1]. You could reference any of the library packages already
in Fedora to see how it is done if you want.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Shared_Libraries
--
Thanks,
Regards,

http://dodoincfedora.wordpress.com/

Old 05-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 07 May 2012 09:36:25 -0800, CH (Christopher) wrote:

> Hey guys, I'm guessing that packaging a library must be a somewhat
> different process than packaging other software (because a library and a
> devel package must be produced), but I am not clear on what those
> differences are. I.e, what special information does the SPEC file
> require?

Just definition of at least one subpackage, the -devel subpackage.

> Are the rpmbuild commands any different?

No.

> I'd be glad to be pointed to the correct documentation. There didn't
> seem to be a section covering this in the Fedora RPM guide.

There's a lot:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Devel_Packages
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.3.4-4.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.06 0.06 0.10