Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Kamal Ahmed

Default Running installation shell script

Hi,
Is it permissible to run a shell script, which has commands like:

echo "Installing Development Tools"
yum $YUMOPTS groupinstall "Development Tools"
echo "Installing other packages"
yum $YUMOPTS install python-devel.i386
yum $YUMOPTS install postgresql84-server.i386 postgresql84-devel.i386 postgresql84-python.i386

# note: check install script that already exists. ask kamal.
# Download and install other packages
echo "Installing Asterisk"
wget http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/asterisk-10.2.1.tar.gz
tar xvzf asterisk-10.2.1.tar.gz
cd asterisk-10.2.1
./configure
make
make install
chkconfig asterisk on

in the %post* section ?

Thanks,
-Kamal.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Jon Ciesla

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Kamal Ahmed <kamal2222ahmed@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it permissible to run a shell script, which has commands like:
>
> echo "Installing Development Tools"
> yum $YUMOPTS groupinstall "Development Tools"
> echo "Installing other packages"
> yum $YUMOPTS install python-devel.i386
> yum $YUMOPTS install postgresql84-server.i386 postgresql84-devel.i386
> postgresql84-python.i386
>
> # note: check install script that already exists. ask kamal.
> # Download and install other packages
> echo "Installing Asterisk"
> wget
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/asterisk-10.2.1.tar.gz
> tar xvzf asterisk-10.2.1.tar.gz
> cd asterisk-10.2.1
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> chkconfig asterisk on
>
> in the %post* section ?

No, don't run rpm or yum in the spec, in any place. If you need
packages installed to build, use BuildRequires. If you need packages
installed to run, use Requires.

-J

http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/

Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Kamal Ahmed

what about, lets say:
Requires(post): openssl >= 0.9.7f-4, /bin/cat
i would like to package openssl in the rpm , is that possible ?or the standard way, is that if openssl is not installed, i just get an error, and have to manually install it?

I am taking example of openssh, so when i do yum -y install openssh , it installs the openssh-server and openssh-client and also executes/runs* the binary.

Thanks,
-Kmaal.

> Is it permissible to run a shell script, which has commands like:
>
> echo "Installing Development Tools"
> yum $YUMOPTS groupinstall "Development Tools"
> echo "Installing other packages"
> yum $YUMOPTS install python-devel.i386
> yum $YUMOPTS install postgresql84-server.i386 postgresql84-devel.i386
> postgresql84-python.i386
>
> # note: check install script that already exists. ask kamal.
> # Download and install other packages
> echo "Installing Asterisk"
> wget
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/asterisk-10.2.1.tar.gz
> tar xvzf asterisk-10.2.1.tar.gz
> cd asterisk-10.2.1
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> chkconfig
asterisk on

Old 05-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Tom Callaway

On 05/01/2012 10:47 AM, Kamal Ahmed wrote:
> what about, lets say:
>
> Requires(post): openssl >= 0.9.7f-4, /bin/cat
>
> i would like to package openssl in the rpm , is that possible ?
> or the standard way, is that if openssl is not installed, i just get an
> error, and have to manually install it?
>
> I am taking example of openssh, so when i do yum -y install openssh , it
> installs the openssh-server and openssh-client and also executes/runs
> the binary.

I'm having a lot of trouble wrapping my head around what you're trying
to do here.

If you're packaging openssh, in the openssh.spec file, you'd want to have:

BuildRequires: openssl >= 0.9.7f

When the openssh SRPM is built, it will link to openssl, and a shared
library dependency will be added to the resulting openssh binary rpms.

If this openssh SRPM generates three binary RPMs (openssh,
openssh-server, openssh-client), you can add explicit Requires to
openssh for openssh-server and openssh-client. This will ensure that yum
install openssh pulls all three packages in to resolve dependencies. If
you want the daemon/service to start immediately after install, you can
enable and start the systemd (or old sysvinit) service in %post, as
documented here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#Systemd

You should never ever be building code in %post (it should happen in the
%build section). You should never ever be calling rpm or yum within the
spec file.

hth,

~tom

==