-   -   error: Package already exists: %package debuginfo (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-packaging/655729-error-package-already-exists-package-debuginfo.html)

Kamal Ahmed 04-13-2012 07:59 PM

error: Package already exists: %package debuginfo

Hi,
Is there a way to get rid of this error, since i cannot build any rpm now.
I have googled this and cannot find a resolution.
Thanks,
-Kamal.

Michael Schwendt 04-13-2012 09:06 PM

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:54:54 -0700 (PDT), KA (Kamal) wrote:

> Found a solution
>
> echo "%debug_package %{nil}" >> ~/.rpmmacros

Not good. That disables the automatic -debuginfo package builds.
The better "fix" for your problem would be to drop the
%package debuginfo
from your spec file, because you are not supposed to handle the
debuginfo files yourself. You haven't told why you added such
a %package definition to your spec file.

Michael Schwendt 04-14-2012 10:45 AM

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 14:47:33 -0700 (PDT), KA (Kamal) wrote:

> ok removed the macro from .rpmmacros
>
> i think the error was because i had comment
>
> #This ...
> in the %install section
>
> since i did NOT have any
>
> %package debuginfo
>
> hence i deduce that

A comment within the %install section does not cause an error like that,
but be careful with RPM macros in comments. They are expanded, too, and
can lead to unexpected results/errors.

A full .spec file is easier to review than just an error message without
any context. ;-)