Old 03-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Default Ruby interpreter independence needs more work

Since limited interpreter independence is a goal of the new guideline
(limited to rubygems), there needs to be more work done ironing out a few
details of that:

* It seems that the ruby(abi) Provides is only in ruby-libs; not in
jruby{,-libs}. That means that an end user wanting to use jruby and having
only rubygems installed still needs to have ruby-libs installed (because
of the dep on ruby(abi).) Is this intentional?
* There needs to be more information about jruby and other alternate
interpreters. In particular, the path macros for the jruby non-gem
packages need to be added.
* I took a guess that non-gem packages should have separate
subpackages for each interpreter since the thought is that rubygems can
handle multiple interpreters but non-gem requires cannot. Further,
I guessed that they should be named INTERPRETER-module, for instance,
jruby-rpm. The answer to whether jruby should Provide ruby(abi) is no,
we also need to specify what non-gem packages for other packages should
require (for instance, jruby(abi) = %{jruby_abi}). If the answer is yes,
we may still need to add new Requires for non-gem packages so that they
are only associated with the correct interpreter (however, we might not
need to have matching Provides... we might be able to just use package
name for this)

-Toshio

Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Bohuslav Kabrda

> Since limited interpreter independence is a goal of the new guideline
> (limited to rubygems), there needs to be more work done ironing out a
> few
> details of that:
>
> * It seems that the ruby(abi) Provides is only in ruby-libs; not in
> jruby{,-libs}. That means that an end user wanting to use jruby and
> having
> only rubygems installed still needs to have ruby-libs installed
> (because
> of the dep on ruby(abi).) Is this intentional?
> * There needs to be more information about jruby and other alternate
> interpreters. In particular, the path macros for the jruby non-gem
> packages need to be added.
> * I took a guess that non-gem packages should have separate
> subpackages for each interpreter since the thought is that rubygems
> can
> handle multiple interpreters but non-gem requires cannot. Further,
> I guessed that they should be named INTERPRETER-module, for
> instance,
> jruby-rpm. The answer to whether jruby should Provide ruby(abi)
> is no,
> we also need to specify what non-gem packages for other packages
> should
> require (for instance, jruby(abi) = %{jruby_abi}). If the answer
> is yes,
> we may still need to add new Requires for non-gem packages so that
> they
> are only associated with the correct interpreter (however, we might
> not
> need to have matching Provides... we might be able to just use
> package
> name for this)
>
> -Toshio

Hi Toshio,
I don't want to double my response, so I will just point to the FPC ticket, where I answered these questions/concerns, so that everyone can have a look at it.

https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/134#comment:43

Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.