Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Nelson Manuel Marques

Default RPM doesn't conflict

Hi all,

I would like to clear a doubt if possible regarding the installation of RPM's and potential conflicts. Here's somehow a twisted use case:

1) 2 RPMs: foobar-1.0.noarch.rpm and foobar-2.0.noarch.rpm
2) Both RPMs have exactly the contents: %{_sysconfdir}/foobar.conf
3) The contents of the file foobar.conf are the same in both RPM's, it has a single line with: Hello World!

Now, if I do:

# rpm -ivh foobar-1.0.noarch.rpm && rpm -ivh foobar-2.0.noarch.rpm

Both RPMs install perfectly. Please notice I'm doing '-i' and not '-U'. Is this the intended behavior of the RPM ? Shouldn't it return a conflict because the file is already installed ?

If I change the contents of the file, so that both RPM's have the same file with different contents (which makes a different hash), the conflict does exist.

Anyone could clarify to me why one conflicts (which I believe to be the intended behavior using '-i') and if the files are exactly the same they don't conflict and it allows install...

Thanks.

Melhores cumprimentos,
Nelson M. Marques

Old 03-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Tom Callaway

On 03/06/2012 06:56 AM, Nelson Manuel Marques wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to clear a doubt if possible regarding the installation of RPM's and potential conflicts. Here's somehow a twisted use case:
>
> 1) 2 RPMs: foobar-1.0.noarch.rpm and foobar-2.0.noarch.rpm
> 2) Both RPMs have exactly the contents: %{_sysconfdir}/foobar.conf
> 3) The contents of the file foobar.conf are the same in both RPM's, it has a single line with: Hello World!
>
> Now, if I do:
>
> # rpm -ivh foobar-1.0.noarch.rpm && rpm -ivh foobar-2.0.noarch.rpm
>
> Both RPMs install perfectly. Please notice I'm doing '-i' and not '-U'. Is this the intended behavior of the RPM ? Shouldn't it return a conflict because the file is already installed ?
>
> If I change the contents of the file, so that both RPM's have the same file with different contents (which makes a different hash), the conflict does exist.
>
> Anyone could clarify to me why one conflicts (which I believe to be the intended behavior using '-i') and if the files are exactly the same they don't conflict and it allows install...

I do not believe RPM considers identical files in multiple packages to
be a conflict. This is intentional.

~tom

==
Fedora Project

Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Ralf Corsepius

[...]

This is a feature.

Files can belong to several rpms, as long as these files' contents is
identical.

Ralf