-   -   Icon tag in spec files (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-packaging/640759-icon-tag-spec-files.html)

Bruno Wolff III 03-04-2012 11:38 PM

Icon tag in spec files

I have a request (bz 787335) to add an Icon tag to the spec file for
freecol so that the appropriate icon will be displayed at:
https://community.dev.fedoraproject.org/packages/freecol

I don't remember running across any guidelines covering this.
Is this something I missed? Is this something new that should
be documented?

Toshio Kuratomi 03-05-2012 04:53 AM

Icon tag in spec files

On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 06:38:27PM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I have a request (bz 787335) to add an Icon tag to the spec file for
> freecol so that the appropriate icon will be displayed at:
> https://community.dev.fedoraproject.org/packages/freecol
>
> I don't remember running across any guidelines covering this.
> Is this something I missed? Is this something new that should
> be documented?

Icon does not need to be used in the Fedora spec files. Just like groups,
this is something that is better done outside of packages (as different
spins/themes/etc may want to use differen groups or different icons for the
same package).

I doubt that the fedora packager web application is using the Icon tag in
the spec file but you could ask threebean and lmacken on IRC if that's the
case.

-Toshio

Tom Callaway 03-05-2012 02:51 PM

Icon tag in spec files

On 03/05/2012 12:53 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 06:38:27PM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> I have a request (bz 787335) to add an Icon tag to the spec file for
>> freecol so that the appropriate icon will be displayed at:
>> https://community.dev.fedoraproject.org/packages/freecol
>>
>> I don't remember running across any guidelines covering this.
>> Is this something I missed? Is this something new that should
>> be documented?
>>
> Icon does not need to be used in the Fedora spec files. Just like groups,
> this is something that is better done outside of packages (as different
> spins/themes/etc may want to use differen groups or different icons for the
> same package).
>
> I doubt that the fedora packager web application is using the Icon tag in
> the spec file but you could ask threebean and lmacken on IRC if that's the
> case.

In fact, I'm rather confident we are not doing this, but instead, using
the .desktop file.

~tom

==
Fedora Project

Bruno Wolff III 03-05-2012 03:30 PM

Icon tag in spec files

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 10:51:47 -0500,
Tom Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com> wrote:

> In fact, I'm rather confident we are not doing this, but instead, using
> the .desktop file.

It turns out that there is an issue with using svg icons. Freecol switched
from .png icons to a svg icon with 0.10.*. The apps team has a ticket
open for this issue.