Old 02-25-2012, 01:33 AM
Jon Masters

Default Scripting language dependencies

On 02/17/2012 09:16 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jon Masters (jcm@redhat.com) said:
>> I hope everyone is having a good day. Here in the Fedora ARM project,
>> we're having a great time overall, but we've run up against a familiar
>> foe in our preparation for Fedora 17 and rawhide: superfluous deps in
>> SPEC files. Today's example is a shell-escaped call to Ruby just to
>> determine some gcc flags for an unrelated package build, but that's just
>> today's example. There are many others, so some standard would help.
>
> OK, so how about:

> Scripting inside of spec files
>
> Inside of a spec file, sometimes it is necessary to call a programming or
> scripting language during %setup, %build, or %install. In Fedora, spec
> files may in general only use the following languages for this purpose:
>
> 1. Python
> 2. Perl
> 3. awk/sed
>
> Also, if your package already BuildRequires a specific scripting language
> (such as Ruby, or Tcl) as part of its normal compile process, it may also be
> called from the spec file.

Following up, I like the suggestion you made and I wonder what the next
step would be?

Jon.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Bill Nottingham

Jon Masters (jonathan@jonmasters.org) said:
> On 02/17/2012 09:16 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Jon Masters (jcm@redhat.com) said:
> >> I hope everyone is having a good day. Here in the Fedora ARM project,
> >> we're having a great time overall, but we've run up against a familiar
> >> foe in our preparation for Fedora 17 and rawhide: superfluous deps in
> >> SPEC files. Today's example is a shell-escaped call to Ruby just to
> >> determine some gcc flags for an unrelated package build, but that's just
> >> today's example. There are many others, so some standard would help.
> >
> > OK, so how about:

> > Scripting inside of spec files
> >
> > Inside of a spec file, sometimes it is necessary to call a programming or
> > scripting language during %setup, %build, or %install. In Fedora, spec
> > files may in general only use the following languages for this purpose:
> >
> > 1. Python
> > 2. Perl
> > 3. awk/sed
> >
> > Also, if your package already BuildRequires a specific scripting language
> > (such as Ruby, or Tcl) as part of its normal compile process, it may also be
> > called from the spec file.
>
> Following up, I like the suggestion you made and I wonder what the next
> step would be?

Probably needs further polishing with Toshio's comments and pushed into an
actual FPC ticket. Hopefully will get to that this week.

Bill

Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Bill Nottingham

Bill Nottingham (notting@redhat.com) said:
> > Following up, I like the suggestion you made and I wonder what the next
> > step would be?
>
> Probably needs further polishing with Toshio's comments and pushed into an
> actual FPC ticket. Hopefully will get to that this week.

Done: https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/150

Bill