Old 02-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Brendan Jones

Default Additional sources / bundled?

Hi

I have a couple of packages that I'm porting from the CCRMA repo. A
couple of them list some additional sources that contain only content
(ie a PDF or audio presets / no binaries). Do I still have to create
separate SPECS for these files? Some are also unversioned.

regards,

Brendan

Old 02-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Rex Dieter

I have a couple of packages that I'm porting from the CCRMA repo. A
couple of them list some additional sources that contain only content
(ie a PDF or audio presets / no binaries). Do I still have to create
separate SPECS for these files?

Not necessarily. stuff like documentation or customized configurations
make sense to *not* package separately.

-- rex

Old 02-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Jon Ciesla

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:
> On 02/10/2012 11:03 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of packages that I'm porting from the CCRMA repo. A
>> couple of them list some additional sources that contain only content
>> (ie a PDF or audio presets / no binaries). Do I still have to create
>> separate SPECS for these files?
>

> Not necessarily. *stuff like documentation or customized configurations make
> sense to *not* package separately.

Though you want to make a subpackage for docs if they're huge.

-J

> -- rex

in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Old 02-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:14:47AM -0600, Jon Ciesla wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:
> > On 02/10/2012 11:03 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> >
> >> I have a couple of packages that I'm porting from the CCRMA repo. A
> >> couple of them list some additional sources that contain only content
> >> (ie a PDF or audio presets / no binaries). Do I still have to create
> >> separate SPECS for these files?
> >

> > Not necessarily. *stuff like documentation or customized configurations make
> > sense to *not* package separately.
>
> Though you want to make a subpackage for docs if they're huge.

If the docs are huge (or even just large ;-) *and* they release on
a slightly different timeframe than the programs, you likely want them in
a wholly separate package. Otherwise end users end up updating one or the
other needlessly.

(ie: docs and programs packages installed. Update just the program; end user
ends up having to update both packages since the build created new versions
of both.)

-Toshio

Old 02-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Brendan Jones

On 02/10/2012 07:28 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

[...]

Thanks all, I believe in the cases I've come up against thus far no
separate package is required as all are tiny. For conf files/default
settings I should use %config(no-replace) right?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Orcan Ogetbil

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> On 02/10/2012 07:28 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:14:47AM -0600, Jon Ciesla wrote:

>>> Though you want to make a subpackage for docs if they're huge.
>>>
>> If the docs are huge (or even just large ;-) *and* they release on
>> a slightly different timeframe than the programs, you likely want them in
>> a wholly separate package. *Otherwise end users end up updating one or the
>> other needlessly.
>>
>> (ie: docs and programs packages installed. *Update just the program; end
>> user
>> ends up having to update both packages since the build created new
>> versions
>> of both.)
>>
>> -Toshio
>>

>> --
>

> Thanks all, I believe in the cases I've come up against thus far no separate
> package is required as all are tiny. For conf files/default settings I
> should use %config(no-replace) right?

For files that go to /etc, yes, that is the default.

Meanwhile make sure there are no license issues with the extra sources
you are including. Sometimes documentation files have different
licenses, I even remember seeing non-free documentation that is for
free software.

Cheers,
Orcan