Old 04-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Default Let's discuss... Javascript!

This has been kicking around in my head for a while but I haven't been
able to come to a conclusion on my own.

As we start to ship more web apps and more web frameworks we are
shipping more javascript files. Some of these files are not app
specific but libraries of code that have their own upstream releases.
This raises questions about whether we should be packaging these
libraries separate from the applications.

I've written up some thoughts about the pros and cons of this here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Javascript

If discussion here leads me to the conclusion that we do want to treat
javascript libraries like other libraries in the system, I'll formalize
that into something appropriate for the Guidelines.

-Toshio

Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Jason L Tibbitts III

TK> If discussion here leads me to the conclusion that we do want to
TK> treat javascript libraries like other libraries in the system,
TK> I'll formalize that into something appropriate for the Guidelines.

I agree that we should try to do this when it makes sense.
Unfortunately codifying "makes sense" into a guideline is kind of
difficult.

There is already at least one javascript package in Fedora: MochiKit.
The package is clean and is something that we should look at when
writing guidelines.

- J<

Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

"TK" == Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> writes:

TK> If discussion here leads me to the conclusion that we do want to
TK> treat javascript libraries like other libraries in the system,
TK> I'll formalize that into something appropriate for the Guidelines.

I agree that we should try to do this when it makes sense.
Unfortunately codifying "makes sense" into a guideline is kind of
difficult.

There is already at least one javascript package in Fedora: MochiKit.
The package is clean and is something that we should look at when
writing guidelines.

Added a bit of the MochiKit spec as a template.

BTW: We have Ivazquez to thank for the excellent work on that package :-)

-Toshio