Old 01-13-2012, 03:49 AM
Orcan Ogetbil

Default external source files for clementine

Hello,

I have a grey-area issue. The new version of the clementine player
comes bundled with 3rd party source files: sha2 [1], echoprint-codegen
[2].

There are no licensing issues. Unfortunately, neither of the two
upstreams provide their source files as libraries. From the
descriptions in their webpages [1] and [2], they seem to me as "take
this code and use it in your project as you wish".

The question is, how do you think this would play with our guidelines?

Thanks,
Orcan

PS: A similar question arose during the package review of clementine
for the bundled universalchardet source files. At the time, we allowed
it through noting that there were other packages in Fedora bundling
universalchardet sources.

[1] http://www.aarongifford.com/computers/sha.html
[2] https://github.com/echonest/echoprint-codegen

Old 01-13-2012, 04:08 AM
Ralf Corsepius

I have a grey-area issue. The new version of the clementine player
comes bundled with 3rd party source files: sha2 [1], echoprint-codegen
[2].

There are no licensing issues. Unfortunately, neither of the two
upstreams provide their source files as libraries. From the
descriptions in their webpages [1] and [2], they seem to me as "take
this code and use it in your project as you wish".

The question is, how do you think this would play with our guidelines?

[...]

[1] http://www.aarongifford.com/computers/sha.html
[2] https://github.com/echonest/echoprint-codegen
I don't see anything unusal with both of these packages - Am I missing
something?

IMO, these should be packaged as "ordinary packages".

Ralf

Old 01-13-2012, 04:20 AM
Orcan Ogetbil

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 01/13/2012 05:49 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a grey-area issue. The new version of the clementine player
>> comes bundled with 3rd party source files: sha2 [1], echoprint-codegen
>> [2].
>>
>> There are no licensing issues. Unfortunately, neither of the two
>> upstreams provide their source files as libraries. From the
>> descriptions in their webpages [1] and [2], they seem to me as "take
>> this code and use it in your project as you wish".
>>
>> The question is, how do you think this would play with our guidelines?
>
> [...]
>
>> [1] http://www.aarongifford.com/computers/sha.html
>> [2] https://github.com/echonest/echoprint-codegen
>
> I don't see anything unusal with both of these packages - Am I missing
> something?
>
> IMO, these should be packaged as "ordinary packages".

Can you define "ordinary packages"? Should I write a Makefile or a
shell script and turn the source files into shared libraries with some
random sonames, and patch clementine to use these libraries?

Orcan

Old 01-13-2012, 05:15 AM
Ralf Corsepius

I have a grey-area issue. The new version of the clementine player
comes bundled with 3rd party source files: sha2 [1], echoprint-codegen
[2].

There are no licensing issues. Unfortunately, neither of the two
upstreams provide their source files as libraries. From the
descriptions in their webpages [1] and [2], they seem to me as "take
this code and use it in your project as you wish".

The question is, how do you think this would play with our guidelines?

[...]

[1] http://www.aarongifford.com/computers/sha.html
[2] https://github.com/echonest/echoprint-codegen

I don't see anything unusal with both of these packages - Am I missing
something?

IMO, these should be packaged as "ordinary packages".

Can you define "ordinary packages"?
Well, I don't see anything unusal with these packages, which would
require them to be copylibs.
To me, they just seem to lack a built-in infrastructure to "build +
install" them. This is not unusal (esp. with packages originating from
an academic background).

Should I write a Makefile or a
shell script and turn the source files into shared libraries with some
random sonames, and patch clementine to use these libraries?
More or less yes. You would not necessarily have "to write Makefiles"
and "to add shared libs", but something along these lines.

Ralf

Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Patrice Dumas

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:20:29AM -0500, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> Can you define "ordinary packages"? Should I write a Makefile or a
> shell script and turn the source files into shared libraries with some
> random sonames, and patch clementine to use these libraries?

You can even call directly the compiler in the spec file with correct
options, and/or ar.

To avoid the soname issue, you can only provide a static library. If
you really want to do a shared library, it is not obvious to choose
a soname, as you would not want a soname that clashes with soname
introduced upstream later.

So, if you want shared libraries, the best, in my opinion, is to contact
upstream and propose them a build system for libraries. If they don't
want it, a good thing may be to collaborate with other distros, if the
libraries are in other disctros, to have common sonames, and go back to
upstream to tell them what soname was used and the issue with clashing
sonames such that they can write a not somwhere tu use this soname
(or not, depending whether they introduced ABI incompatibilities).

--
Pat

Old 01-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Rex Dieter

Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> I have a grey-area issue. The new version of the clementine player
> comes bundled with 3rd party source files: sha2 [1], echoprint-codegen
> [2].
>
> There are no licensing issues. Unfortunately, neither of the two
> upstreams provide their source files as libraries. From the
> descriptions in their webpages [1] and [2], they seem to me as "take
> this code and use it in your project as you wish".

These probably could be considered under the 'copylib' exception, though it
may be worth trying to package these separately anyway, if possible (likely
a better long-term solution, esp if your modifications can be upstreamed).

-- rex