Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Thomas Spura

Default python-2.6 on el5

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> On 12/07/2011 04:09 PM, Thomas Spura wrote:

>> Would it be ok, to use it and provide a python26-zmq or is an extra
>> review request needed for that?
>> Couldn't find any guideline, that forbits it, but there doesn't seem
>> to be any naming guideline for el, isn't it?
>>
> I am not sure that I have understood your question, so take the rest of
> my answer with a bit of salt
> python26 is in EPEL for quite some time. I see no reason to not make use
> of it in your package.

Sorry, maybe I could have been more concrete too...

It "looks" like a problem, when a python-foo package provides a
python26-foo package (what we actually do with python3 in Fedora too).
I just wasn't sure if it _is_ a problem too (but didn't think so )

Now that nobody sees this as a no-go, I'll go ahead and build it like
proposed in other mails.

For those who want to look over it, here it is:

Thanks for all the feedback.
Tom

Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Thomas Moschny

2011/12/14 Thomas Spura <tomspur@fedoraproject.org>:
> For those who want to look over it, here it is:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3583429

Two observations:

(1) the python26-zmq package provides a bunch of so's that are
python-only and thus should be filtered out:

constants.so()(64bit)
context.so()(64bit)
device.so()(64bit)
error.so()(64bit)
initthreads.so()(64bit)
message.so()(64bit)
monitoredqueue.so()(64bit)
poll.so()(64bit)
rebuffer.so()(64bit)
socket.so()(64bit)
stopwatch.so()(64bit)
version.so()(64bit)

(2) the python26-zmq-tests package has no real requirements, neither
directly nor indirectly on python26-zmq or python26, this should also
be fixed.

--
Thomas Moschny <thomas.moschny@gmail.com>

Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Thomas Spura

2011/12/14 Thomas Moschny <thomas.moschny@gmail.com>:
> 2011/12/14 Thomas Spura <tomspur@fedoraproject.org>:
>> For those who want to look over it, here it is:
>> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3583429
>
> Two observations:
>
> (1) the python26-zmq package provides a bunch of so's that are
> python-only and thus should be filtered out:
>
> constants.so()(64bit)
> context.so()(64bit)
> device.so()(64bit)
> error.so()(64bit)
> initthreads.so()(64bit)
> message.so()(64bit)
> monitoredqueue.so()(64bit)
> poll.so()(64bit)
> rebuffer.so()(64bit)
> socket.so()(64bit)
> stopwatch.so()(64bit)
> version.so()(64bit)

I'm unsure, how to do that the el5 way, without completely disabling
the internaldependency generator. [1]
Python filtering is quite different than the perl example [2]

Does anyone know an example package, that does filtering on el5?
e.g. python-pyblock has python only provides too, but they don't fix
it at all...

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/rpm-list/2005-August/msg00034.html
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL:Packaging#Perl_Provides_and_Requires_Filterin g

> (2) the python26-zmq-tests package has no real requirements, neither
> directly nor indirectly on python26-zmq or python26, this should also
> be fixed.

Just pushed a fix to the other branches, so this will be fixed, when
the requres will be fixed.

Thanks!
Tom

Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:13:12 +0100, TS (Thomas) wrote:

> 2011/12/14 Thomas Moschny <>:
> > 2011/12/14 Thomas Spura <>:
> >> For those who want to look over it, here it is:
> >> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3583429
> >
> > Two observations:
> >
> > (1) the python26-zmq package provides a bunch of so's that are
> > python-only and thus should be filtered out:
> >
> > constants.so()(64bit)
> > context.so()(64bit)
> > device.so()(64bit)
> > error.so()(64bit)
> > initthreads.so()(64bit)
> > message.so()(64bit)
> > monitoredqueue.so()(64bit)
> > poll.so()(64bit)
> > rebuffer.so()(64bit)
> > socket.so()(64bit)
> > stopwatch.so()(64bit)
> > version.so()(64bit)

Well, it's a vague SHOULD and not anything like important, *if* the
automatic SONAME Provides are non-versioned *and* not in the lib*
namespace either. They result in superfluous repo metadata. Still some
form of pollution, albeit not with a high risk of confusing the depsolver.

No [other] package ought to depend on such non-versioned SONAMEs. If it
did, that could be an indication of a poorly named system library in some
package and/or something really requiring these libs and possibly
expecting to find them in run-time linker's search path instead of a
private plugin/module/extension directory.

The much more problematic SONAME Provides are those that bear a risk
of conflicting with ordinary system libraries.