Old 11-23-2011, 03:04 AM
Parag N(पराग़)

Default linking files in /usr/bin

Hi,
Just want to know if there is any suggested guidelines for linking
a script file in /usr/bin path. I see some of packages that installs
the python script files have a wrapper script written and installed in
/usr/bin. Is there any issue of directly linking that python script
file in /usr/bin?

Regards,
Parag.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:41 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 09:34:58AM +0530, Parag N(पराग़) wrote:
> Hi,
> Just want to know if there is any suggested guidelines for linking
> a script file in /usr/bin path. I see some of packages that installs
> the python script files have a wrapper script written and installed in
> /usr/bin. Is there any issue of directly linking that python script
> file in /usr/bin?

I'd have to see some actual examples but for python scripts one interesting
thing is that python will create and use a byte compiled form of the .py
files that it uses *except* for the one specified directly to the
interpreter either through the command line (python script.py) or via
a shebang line. This means that many upstream python scripts in /usr/bin
are very light wrappers around the real functionality in a python module
located somewhere else so that more of the code gets byte compiled.

-Toshio