FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Packaging

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ASCIINaming amended

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 18:25 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> I've made another pass at changing the ASCIINaming draft.
>
> To sum it up, I couldn't come up with a good reason for the other
> "special" characters to ever appear, and if someone ever did come up
> with a valid reason, well, that's what exceptions (and amending
> guidelines) are for. Now, only A-Z,a-z,0-9,+-._ are permitted.
>
> FPC members, please re-read this one before Tuesday:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ASCIINaming

I'm no longer in the FPC, but I will say that I like this proposal. The
only thing I would change would be to add a suggest when
translating/transliterating to see what (if any) other distributions
have done for said package to maintain some sort of consistency when
upstream refuses to provide one.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- All my bits are free, are yours?
--
Fedora-packaging mailing list
Fedora-packaging@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-packaging
 
Old 03-24-2008, 02:39 AM
Toshio Kuratomi
 
Default http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ASCIINaming amended

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 18:25 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

I've made another pass at changing the ASCIINaming draft.

To sum it up, I couldn't come up with a good reason for the other
"special" characters to ever appear, and if someone ever did come up
with a valid reason, well, that's what exceptions (and amending
guidelines) are for. Now, only A-Z,a-z,0-9,+-._ are permitted.

FPC members, please re-read this one before Tuesday:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ASCIINaming


I'm no longer in the FPC, but I will say that I like this proposal. The
only thing I would change would be to add a suggest when
translating/transliterating to see what (if any) other distributions
have done for said package to maintain some sort of consistency when
upstream refuses to provide one.

I would like to see this addition as well. My position is that
transliterating from unicode at the distro level is going to be much
pain. The more cross-distro/packagers collaboration there is the less
of a problem this is.


-Toshio

--
Fedora-packaging mailing list
Fedora-packaging@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-packaging
 
Old 03-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Jason L Tibbitts III
 
Default http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ASCIINaming amended

>>>>> "TC" == Tom "spot" Callaway <Tom> writes:

TC> I've made another pass at changing the ASCIINaming draft.

Picky, I know, and it's pretty much clear from the example, but could
you clarify what you mean by "separator"?

Also, do we need a guideline regarding packages whose names differ
only in case?

Finally, will this ASCIINaming document be a separate page or will it
be incorporated into the NamingGuidelines page?

- J<

--
Fedora-packaging mailing list
Fedora-packaging@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-packaging
 
Old 03-24-2008, 04:17 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"
 
Default http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ASCIINaming amended

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 11:34 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> >>>>> "TC" == Tom "spot" Callaway <Tom> writes:
>
> TC> I've made another pass at changing the ASCIINaming draft.
>
> Picky, I know, and it's pretty much clear from the example, but could
> you clarify what you mean by "separator"?

OK, I've given it a shot.

> Also, do we need a guideline regarding packages whose names differ
> only in case?

Ugh. I hope not. Lets get this much done, then we can argue about case
for a while.

> Finally, will this ASCIINaming document be a separate page or will it
> be incorporated into the NamingGuidelines page?

Yes, it will be incorporated into NamingGuidelines.

~spot

--
Fedora-packaging mailing list
Fedora-packaging@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-packaging
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:06 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org