Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Maxim Burgerhout

Default Seeking advice on changing a default configuration filename

Hi list,
I am seeking some advice on the correct way to drop a patch that changes the name of the default configuration file for monit.
In Fedora, we carry a patch for monit that changes upstream's default configuration filename from /etc/monitrc to /etc/monit.conf.*

Other than the fact that we have always carried the patch, I found no reason to carry it. Even though it is a small patch, in order to stay as close as possible to upstream, I want to drop it (and another one) in Rawhide.

The question is how to do this nicely. I see several options:
a) just drop the patch, breaking existing installations until the admin renames his configuration file, which will be annoying during F16 -> F17 upgrades

b) moving a possibly existing /etc/monit.conf to /etc/monitrc in %postc) symlinking /etc/monit.conf to /etc/monitrc if it exists in %postd) moving a possibly existing /etc/monit.conf to /etc/monitrc and symlink it back to /etc/monit.conf*

e) keep carrying the patch
Can someone give me some pointers here? Whichever option I choose, I'd add a README.Fedora to explain the change to the RPM.
Thanks!

Maxim Burgerhout
maxim@wzzrd.com