Old 11-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Nelson Manuel Marques

Default Packaging doubt: RHEL4 -

Hi all,

I'm trying to package perl-Data-Dumper (RHEL4 and RHEL5), and rpmlint is returning the following warning:

perl-Data-Dumper.x86_64: W: private-shared-object-provides /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.so Dumper.so()(64bit)

How can I correct this behavior?

Best Regards,
Nelson Manuel O. Marques

Old 11-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 16:06:52 +0000, NMM (Nelson) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to package perl-Data-Dumper (RHEL4 and RHEL5), and rpmlint is returning the following warning:
>
> perl-Data-Dumper.x86_64: W: private-shared-object-provides /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.so Dumper.so()(64bit)
>
> How can I correct this behavior?

Assuming you don't understand this warning yet, so run rpmlint with option -i
and that will print a more detailed explanation that should be helpful. If not,
feel free to ask further questions.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Nelson Manuel Marques

Hi Michael,

Thanks, I had found meanwhile the information I was looking for in this wiki page[1]. I'll fix this tomorrow morning.

NM

[1] - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL:Packaging#Perl_Provides_and_Requires_Filterin g

Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Paul Howarth

On 11/08/2011 12:44 AM, Nelson Manuel Marques wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks, I had found meanwhile the information I was looking for in this wiki page[1]. I'll fix this tomorrow morning.
>

> NM
>
> [1] - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL:Packaging#Perl_Provides_and_Requires_Filterin g

The filter mentioned there won't have any effect as the provide you are
trying to remove is generated by rpm's internal dependency generator,
not the perl-specific provides script.

I would suggest you ignore the rpmlint warning; virtually all
arch-specific perl packages in EPEL 4 and 5 produce this warning; later
releases of Fedora (and EPEL-6) include better filtering mechanisms that
can handle this more comfortably but it's not a big deal.

Regarding perl-Data-Dumper, you may be disappointed with the results of
packaging it as the Data:umper module is bundled with the main perl
package in a directory right at the start of @INC in RHEL 4 and 5, so
even if you build your own version and install it, you'll end up using
the original (bundled) one unless you fiddle with @INC in any
applications that use it.

Paul.