Old 02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Rex Dieter

Default java: building from source vs signed .jar's

I've been approached by the dev's of a GPL'd java app (www.geogebra.org),
wanting my assistance wrt rpm packaging (and eventual inclusion in fedora I
hope), but there's a snag. They want (need) their java applet runable over
the web (webstart'able), and that means signed jars. They proposed we
simply package their prebuilt (and signed) .jars, but that is contrary to
our usual "build from source" position.

So, the dilemma is
1. come up with packaging policy and mechanism for fedora to produce signed
jars. I raised this issue in the past, but we punted, since fedora, at the
time, didn't include any java implementations that supported this. icedtea
changes that.
2. allow an exception to the "build from source" guideline for pregenerated,
signed .jar's.
3. just say no
4. insert suggestion here.
99. profit!