Old 09-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Jussi Lehtola

Default Ban autoloading of MPI environment

Hi,

the MPI guidelines currently state

"If the packager wishes to provide alternatives support, it MUST be
placed in a subpackage ..."

However, it has become clear that this statement is not clear enough
and warrants an additional specification. The guidelines were written
as to be fair to all people independent of the compiler and runtime
they are using.

However, some MPI runtimes have been misbehaving by autoloading their
environment with a file in /etc/profile.d placed in the runtime
package (BZ #647147). This has disunited the user interface and caused
many problems for package builders trying to compile a serial version
of an MPI-aware code (see for instance BZ #737043).

I am thus proposing that the MPI guidelines be clarified by the
additional statement

"MUST: If the maintainer wants to provide autoloading support for the
MPI environment, it must be placed in a separately installable
subpackage."

(see text in bold italics at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/MPI )
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor

Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 PM
"Jason L Tibbitts III"

JL> I am thus proposing that the MPI guidelines be clarified by the
JL> additional statement

Don't forget to file a ticket when you are ready for FPC to consider your
proposal. https://fedorahosted.org/fpc

- J<

Old 09-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Jussi Lehtola

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:49:01 -0500
"Jason L Tibbitts III" <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:

> JL> I am thus proposing that the MPI guidelines be clarified by the
> JL> additional statement
>
> Don't forget to file a ticket when you are ready for FPC to consider
> your proposal. https://fedorahosted.org/fpc

Thanks, filed!