Old 08-05-2011, 04:34 PM
David Michael

Default Mozilla Extension Guidelines

Hi,

I am considering packaging a Mozilla extension, but I thought it best
to try to clarify some things beforehand. The only guidance (draft) I
found[1] doesn't seem to be followed by existing packages, but I agree
with it in principle. Until there are official guidelines, I have two
questions:

Is it acceptable to follow the draft guidelines, or should new
packages attempt to conform to the existing packages' (not quite
consistent) structure?

Is it appropriate to support any/all applications listed in the
install.rdf, even if they are not available in Fedora? (I don't see a
downside to this if the draft guidelines are followed, and it would
allow locally managed applications to take advantage of extensions
installed from RPMs.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

David

1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kalev/MozillaExtensionsDraft

Old 08-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Jon Ciesla

David Michael wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering packaging a Mozilla extension, but I thought it best
> to try to clarify some things beforehand. The only guidance (draft) I
> found[1] doesn't seem to be followed by existing packages, but I agree
> with it in principle. Until there are official guidelines, I have two
> questions:
>
> Is it acceptable to follow the draft guidelines, or should new
> packages attempt to conform to the existing packages' (not quite
> consistent) structure?
>
> Is it appropriate to support any/all applications listed in the
> install.rdf, even if they are not available in Fedora? (I don't see a
> downside to this if the draft guidelines are followed, and it would
> allow locally managed applications to take advantage of extensions
> installed from RPMs.)
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> David
>

> 1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kalev/MozillaExtensionsDraft

Unless I'm mistaken, it's probably best to follow the current guidelines
but keep an ear to the rail for any action on the draft. It could be
problematic to follow something that may or may not ever become official.

Grain of salt: I'm foggy on the exact status of said draft.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love