Old 07-16-2011, 08:05 PM
"Siem Korteweg"

Default rpmlint on Fedora and FHS

> Am 16.07.2011 21:06, schrieb Siem Korteweg:
> [...]
>> Why is it not permitted for packages to install files in /opt while that
>> is allright according to the FHS and Fedora follows FHS?
>>
> FHS says in the first sentence:
>
> »/opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software
> packages.«
>
> Installation in /opt is unusual in Fedora, but permitted as far as I
> know. Is SCC an »add-on software«? I recognize generic rpm packages as
> such, like the Google, Skype, or Adobe ones. In my mind, I package which
> will be shipped with Fedora itself should follow the usual standard. The
> hierarchy in the generic package is somewhat odd anyway: /opt/scc/bin,
> /etc/opt/scc and /var/opt/scc/. There's no common installation prefix,
> though. If you could figure out a way to make it work with /usr/bin,
> /etc/scc and /var/scc, it would become more transparent.

What do you mean with the common installation prefix? What is the common
installation prefix when I migrate the software to /usr/bin, /etc/scc and
/var/scc?

regards,
Siem Korteweg

Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Mario Blättermann

Am 16.07.2011 22:05, schrieb Siem Korteweg:
[...]
> What do you mean with the common installation prefix? What is the common
> installation prefix when I migrate the software to /usr/bin, /etc/scc and
> /var/scc?

OK, I had to refer to prefixes, actually. The common prefix for binaries
(such as scripts, too) is /usr. Configuration files go into /etc, and
data should go into /usr/share.

Read the FHS again to see more about the purpose of the appropriate
folders. You will see that it would be better to use the common folders
from Fedora instead of /opt. The existence of a folder doesn't mean that
you may use it as you like it

However, it is not prohibited to use /opt at all. Or am I wrong here?
CC'ing "spot" although I assume he reads this list.

Best Regards,
Mario

Old 07-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Björn Persson

Mario Blättermann wrote:
> Am 16.07.2011 21:06, schrieb Siem Korteweg:
> > Why is it not permitted for packages to install files in /opt while that
> > is allright according to the FHS and Fedora follows FHS?
>
> FHS says in the first sentence:
>
> »/opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software
> packages.«
>
> Installation in /opt is unusual in Fedora, but permitted as far as I
> know. Is SCC an »add-on software«?

As I understand it, "add-on" refers to software that is not installed as a
Fedora package, that is a tarball or some other kind of package that you
download from a third-party website. That's what the generic SCC package is.
Although it's distributed as an RPM package in this case, it's not a Fedora
package, so it belongs in /opt.

When you package SCC for Fedora it becomes a part of Fedora and is no longer
an "add-on", so then its files shall be placed in /usr/bin, /etc/scc and
/var/lib/scc (not /var/scc).

Björn Persson

Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> Mario Blättermann wrote:
>> Am 16.07.2011 21:06, schrieb Siem Korteweg:
>> > Why is it not permitted for packages to install files in /opt while
>> that
>> > is allright according to the FHS and Fedora follows FHS?
>>
>> FHS says in the first sentence:
>>
>> »/opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software
>> packages.«
>>
>> Installation in /opt is unusual in Fedora, but permitted as far as I
>> know. Is SCC an »add-on software«?
>
> As I understand it, "add-on" refers to software that is not installed as a
> Fedora package, that is a tarball or some other kind of package that you
> download from a third-party website. That's what the generic SCC package
> is.
> Although it's distributed as an RPM package in this case, it's not a
> Fedora
> package, so it belongs in /opt.
>
> When you package SCC for Fedora it becomes a part of Fedora and is no
> longer
> an "add-on", so then its files shall be placed in /usr/bin, /etc/scc and
> /var/lib/scc (not /var/scc).
>
> Björn Persson

Well, only /srv is expressly forbidden:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#No_Files_or_Directories_under _.2Fsrv

But my interpretation of the relevant section of the FHS is that the only
things in /opt should be things that are totally self contained, as things
like Skype and other binary-only things tend to be (static linking, etc).
So, I'd stay out of /opt.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Old 07-17-2011, 05:57 AM
Ralf Corsepius

On 07/16/2011 09:25 PM, Mario Blättermann wrote:
> Am 16.07.2011 21:06, schrieb Siem Korteweg:
> [...]
>> Why is it not permitted for packages to install files in /opt while that
>> is allright according to the FHS and Fedora follows FHS?

It is not allowed (neither is /srv), because Fedora is the "vendor",
i.e. everything Fedora installs must go into vendor-directories.

Ralf

Old 07-17-2011, 12:30 PM
"Siem Korteweg"

[...]
> As I understand it, "add-on" refers to software that is not installed as a
> Fedora package, that is a tarball or some other kind of package that you
> download from a third-party website. That's what the generic SCC package
> is.
> Although it's distributed as an RPM package in this case, it's not a
> Fedora package, so it belongs in /opt.
>
> When you package SCC for Fedora it becomes a part of Fedora and is no
> longer
> an "add-on", so then its files shall be placed in /usr/bin, /etc/scc and
> /var/lib/scc (not /var/scc).

Thank you for this clarification. Development of SCC started on HP-UX
where both HP and ISV's like Veritas install software in /opt. I
interpreted "add-on" from FHS as "additional" or "non-core" and that
caused my confusion.

As SCC is intended for system administrators, I will rebase SCC to use
/usr/sbin, /etc/scc and /var/lib/scc.

regards
Siem