Old 07-16-2011, 07:06 PM
"Siem Korteweg"

Default rpmlint on Fedora and FHS

Hi,

Before I am going to package System Configuration Collector for Fedora, I
decided to run rpmlint on the existing, generic rpm of SCC.

SCC consists of 25 executable shell scripts that are installed in
/opt/scc/bin. Configuration files reside in /etc/opt/scc and data is
stored in /var/opt/scc/. All According to the FHS
(http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES).

Fedora follows the FHS
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Filesystem_Layout),
however, rpmlint reports errors for all scripts in /opt/scc/bin:

scc.noarch: E: dir-or-file-in-opt /opt/scc/bin/scc-log
A file in the package is located in /opt. It's not permitted for packages to
install files in this directory.

Why is it not permitted for packages to install files in /opt while that
is allright according to the FHS and Fedora follows FHS?

regards
Siem Korteweg

Old 07-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Mario Blättermann

Am 16.07.2011 21:06, schrieb Siem Korteweg:
[...]
> Why is it not permitted for packages to install files in /opt while that
> is allright according to the FHS and Fedora follows FHS?

FHS says in the first sentence:

»/opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software
packages.«

Installation in /opt is unusual in Fedora, but permitted as far as I
know. Is SCC an »add-on software«? I recognize generic rpm packages as
such, like the Google, Skype, or Adobe ones. In my mind, I package which
will be shipped with Fedora itself should follow the usual standard. The
hierarchy in the generic package is somewhat odd anyway: /opt/scc/bin,
/etc/opt/scc and /var/opt/scc/. There's no common installation prefix,
though. If you could figure out a way to make it work with /usr/bin,
/etc/scc and /var/scc, it would become more transparent.

Best Regards,
Mario