FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Packaging

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 PM
 
Default problem in creating rpm "No build ID note found in"

Hello List,
*
I am trying to create an rpm in Fedora14 and it fails when find-debuginfo.sh is executed by rpm during build process.
*
Error comes “No build ID note found in" googling says passing LDFLAGS+=--build-id in make will resolve the problem but it does not. Same package is created in RHEL5.6
Without any errors . As far as I understand the gcc by default uses the --build-id *while compiling.
*
[root@localhost ~]# gcc pro.c
[root@localhost ~]# readelf -a a.out* | grep -i build-id
** 02**** .interp .note.ABI-tag .note.gnu.build-id .gnu.hash .dynsym .dynstr .gnu.version .gnu.version_r .rela.dyn .rela.plt .init .plt .text .fini .rodata .eh_frame_hdr .eh_frame
** 05**** .note.ABI-tag .note.gnu.build-id
*
How to resolve this?
*
--Sunil
--
packaging mailing list
packaging@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/packaging
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Ralf Corsepius
 
Default problem in creating rpm "No build ID note found in"

On 05/04/2011 03:03 PM, Sunil_Gupta2@Dell.com wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am trying to create an rpm in Fedora14 and it fails when find-debuginfo.sh is executed by rpm during build process.
>
> Error comes "No build ID note found in" googling says passing LDFLAGS+=--build-id in make will resolve the problem but it does not. Same package is created in RHEL5.6
> Without any errors . As far as I understand the gcc by default uses the --build-id while compiling.
Correct.

> [root@localhost ~]# gcc pro.c
> [root@localhost ~]# readelf -a a.out | grep -i build-id
> 02 .interp .note.ABI-tag .note.gnu.build-id .gnu.hash .dynsym .dynstr .gnu.version .gnu.version_r .rela.dyn .rela.plt .init .plt .text .fini .rodata .eh_frame_hdr .eh_frame
> 05 .note.ABI-tag .note.gnu.build-id
>
> How to resolve this?

Such kind of errors usually indicate that a package doesn't honor
CFLAGS/LDFLAGS correctly, e.g. overrides them with something incompatible.

Another situation I've seen this error occur, is a package containing
prebuilt binaries.

Ralf

--
packaging mailing list
packaging@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/packaging
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:35 PM
 
Default problem in creating rpm "No build ID note found in"

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralf Corsepius [mailto:rc040203@freenet.de]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:51 PM
To: Discussion of RPM packaging standards and practices for Fedora
Cc: Gupta2, Sunil
Subject: Re: [Fedora-packaging] problem in creating rpm "No build ID note found in"

On 05/04/2011 03:03 PM, Sunil_Gupta2@Dell.com wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am trying to create an rpm in Fedora14 and it fails when find-debuginfo.sh is executed by rpm during build process.
>
> Error comes "No build ID note found in" googling says passing
> LDFLAGS+=--build-id in make will resolve the problem but it does not. Same package is created in RHEL5.6 Without any errors . As far as I understand the gcc by default uses the --build-id while compiling.
Correct.

> [root@localhost ~]# gcc pro.c
> [root@localhost ~]# readelf -a a.out | grep -i build-id
> 02 .interp .note.ABI-tag .note.gnu.build-id .gnu.hash .dynsym .dynstr .gnu.version .gnu.version_r .rela.dyn .rela.plt .init .plt .text .fini .rodata .eh_frame_hdr .eh_frame
> 05 .note.ABI-tag .note.gnu.build-id
>
> How to resolve this?

>>Such kind of errors usually indicate that a package doesn't honor CFLAGS/LDFLAGS correctly, e.g. overrides them with something incompatible.

It should then fail in RHEL5 as well

>>Another situation I've seen this error occur, is a package containing prebuilt binaries.

I am not sure but I think there is no prebuilt binary...My guess is if there is a change in gcc or find-debuginfo.sh which is causing the problem.


--Sunil

--
packaging mailing list
packaging@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/packaging
 
Old 05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Ralf Corsepius
 
Default problem in creating rpm "No build ID note found in"

On 05/04/2011 03:35 PM, Sunil_Gupta2@Dell.com wrote:
>
>>> Such kind of errors usually indicate that a package doesn't honor CFLAGS/LDFLAGS correctly, e.g. overrides them with something incompatible.
> It should then fail in RHEL5 as well
It would be news to me aware RHEL uses build-ids.
>>> Another situation I've seen this error occur, is a package containing prebuilt binaries.
> I am not sure but I think there is no prebuilt binary...My guess is if there is a change in gcc or find-debuginfo.sh which is causing the problem.
In this case, I am inclined to believe something is overriding *FLAGS or
not passing them correctly (e.g. when directly calling a ld instead of
indirectly invoking it through GCC)

Ralf


--
packaging mailing list
packaging@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/packaging
 
Old 05-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Panu Matilainen
 
Default problem in creating rpm "No build ID note found in"

On 05/04/2011 04:35 PM, Sunil_Gupta2@Dell.com wrote:
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ralf Corsepius [mailto:rc040203@freenet.de]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:51 PM
> To: Discussion of RPM packaging standards and practices for Fedora
> Cc: Gupta2, Sunil
> Subject: Re: [Fedora-packaging] problem in creating rpm "No build ID note found in"
>
> On 05/04/2011 03:03 PM, Sunil_Gupta2@Dell.com wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> I am trying to create an rpm in Fedora14 and it fails when find-debuginfo.sh is executed by rpm during build process.
>>
>> Error comes "No build ID note found in" googling says passing
>> LDFLAGS+=--build-id in make will resolve the problem but it does not. Same package is created in RHEL5.6 Without any errors . As far as I understand the gcc by default uses the --build-id while compiling.
> Correct.
>
>> [root@localhost ~]# gcc pro.c
>> [root@localhost ~]# readelf -a a.out | grep -i build-id
>> 02 .interp .note.ABI-tag .note.gnu.build-id .gnu.hash .dynsym .dynstr .gnu.version .gnu.version_r .rela.dyn .rela.plt .init .plt .text .fini .rodata .eh_frame_hdr .eh_frame
>> 05 .note.ABI-tag .note.gnu.build-id
>>
>> How to resolve this?
>
>>> Such kind of errors usually indicate that a package doesn't honor CFLAGS/LDFLAGS correctly, e.g. overrides them with something incompatible.
>
> It should then fail in RHEL5 as well

On RHEL5 missing build ID would just emit a warning (you might want to
check your build log), whereas in newer distros this is a hard error and
stops the build.

- Panu -
--
packaging mailing list
packaging@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/packaging
 
Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 AM
 
Default problem in creating rpm "No build ID note found in"

Is there any way to force the --buil-id or turn off the find-debuginfo.sh check. I passed the CFLAGS to include the --build-id but no luck and also tried some macros to turn off the script .

--Sunil

-----Original Message-----
From: packaging-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org [mailtoackaging-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Panu Matilainen
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:43 PM
To: packaging@lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Re: [Fedora-packaging] problem in creating rpm "No build ID note found in"

On 05/04/2011 04:35 PM, Sunil_Gupta2@Dell.com wrote:
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ralf Corsepius [mailto:rc040203@freenet.de]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:51 PM
> To: Discussion of RPM packaging standards and practices for Fedora
> Cc: Gupta2, Sunil
> Subject: Re: [Fedora-packaging] problem in creating rpm "No build ID note found in"
>
> On 05/04/2011 03:03 PM, Sunil_Gupta2@Dell.com wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> I am trying to create an rpm in Fedora14 and it fails when find-debuginfo.sh is executed by rpm during build process.
>>
>> Error comes "No build ID note found in" googling says passing
>> LDFLAGS+=--build-id in make will resolve the problem but it does not. Same package is created in RHEL5.6 Without any errors . As far as I understand the gcc by default uses the --build-id while compiling.
> Correct.
>
>> [root@localhost ~]# gcc pro.c
>> [root@localhost ~]# readelf -a a.out | grep -i build-id
>> 02 .interp .note.ABI-tag .note.gnu.build-id .gnu.hash .dynsym .dynstr .gnu.version .gnu.version_r .rela.dyn .rela.plt .init .plt .text .fini .rodata .eh_frame_hdr .eh_frame
>> 05 .note.ABI-tag .note.gnu.build-id
>>
>> How to resolve this?
>
>>> Such kind of errors usually indicate that a package doesn't honor CFLAGS/LDFLAGS correctly, e.g. overrides them with something incompatible.
>
> It should then fail in RHEL5 as well

On RHEL5 missing build ID would just emit a warning (you might want to check your build log), whereas in newer distros this is a hard error and stops the build.

- Panu -
--
packaging mailing list
packaging@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/packaging
--
packaging mailing list
packaging@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/packaging
 
Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 AM
Panu Matilainen
 
Default problem in creating rpm "No build ID note found in"

On 05/05/2011 07:38 AM, Sunil_Gupta2@Dell.com wrote:
> Is there any way to force the --buil-id or turn off the find-debuginfo.sh check. I passed the CFLAGS to include the --build-id but no luck and also tried some macros to turn off the script .

Putting this at the top of the spec should let the build finish despite
missing build-id's:

%global _missing_build_ids_terminate_build 0

- Panu -
--
packaging mailing list
packaging@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/packaging
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org