Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM
John Brier

Default xwax in Fedora?

I would love to package xwax for Fedora

xwax reads special timecoded vinyls/CDs for the purpose of DJing and
playing audio files from your computer.

My concern is it *might* not pass this part of the Packaging Guidelines

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Packages_which_are_not_useful _without_external_bits

It starts the decoding process in a separate thread and uses

vorbis-tools
flac

but also

mpg123
faad (AAC)
ffmpeg

Now it will work without those last 3, it will compile and run fine,
just if a user tries to play a file that would require one of those
decoders it will just generate an error to stdout/stderr saying

/usr/libexec/xwax-import: line 41: exec: ffmpeg: not found

or something similar.

(
http://cupcakecarnival.net/gallery/main.php/v/Computers/Screenshots/Screenshot-xwax.png.html
)

but it will keep running fine. So in that sense I htink it is still
*useful* without the external bits because it still works with free
codecs.

The only other small concern that I'm aware of is that it's a GUI
application, but it has no .desktop file and I don't think it should
because the program is setup entirely from command line flags. There
is no way to configure it after it is started. If you run the command
line with no options (without setting the sound card to read from
example) it will not start and tell you to read the help ( -h)

Does xwax meet Fedora's guidelines?

- --
John Brier, RHCA, RHCVA, RHCX
Senior Technical Support Engineer - NA
gpg: 1024D/251D9FF9 6F7B 242A 9375 F4CC BC6D F453 60D8 35FF 251D 9FF9

http://opensource.com - Where Open Source Multiplies

Old 04-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Tom Callaway

On 04/18/2011 03:49 PM, John Brier wrote:
> Does xwax meet Fedora's guidelines?

My instinct says that FESCo should decide this.

~tom

==
Fedora Project

Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 PM